[Marxism] New buzzword - "disaster reduction"

Jurriaan Bendien andromeda246 at hetnet.nl
Wed Dec 29 21:22:14 MST 2004

In another interesting interview they had on BBC radio, a guy argued that
the rich countries should write a "blanc cheque" to fund the relief work.

The journalist however countered, that one couldn't simply write a blanc
cheque, that was unreasonable and so on.

So the guy says (paraphrase, I don't recall the exact words), "well they
wrote a blanc cheque to fight this war in Iraq, if they can spend virtually
unlimited funds, billions of dollars there, I don't see why they cannot do
it in tsunami relief work."

The impression I get is that a lot of different themes, angles, and foci are
being explored out there for the purpose of tsunami crisis management.

Jurriaan