[Marxism] Tsunami death toll reaches Hiroshima death toll

viveka kaliyuga at humboldt1.com
Fri Dec 31 14:35:05 MST 2004

>    ... and that should serve as a reminder that humanity should care
> more about saving and preserving life than for means to end it.

Indeed the number of "human" deaths is staggering.  Yet, there is this from
Reuters today:

"Sri Lankan wildlife officials have said the giant waves that killed over
24,000 people along the Indian Ocean island's coast seemingly missed wild
beasts, with no dead animals found.

"No elephants are dead, NOT EVEN A DEAD HARE OR RABBIT.  I think animals can
sense disaster. They have a sixth sense. They know when things are
happening," H.D. Ratnayake, deputy director of Sri Lanka's Wildlife
Department, said Wednesday.

The waves washed floodwaters up to 2 miles inland at Yala National Park in
the ravaged southeast, Sri Lanka's biggest wildlife reserve and home to
hundreds of wild elephants and several leopards.  "Wildlife seem to be able
to pick up certain phenomenon, especially birds ... there are many reports
of birds detecting impending disasters," said Clive Walker, who has written
several books on African wildlife.

Animals certainly rely on the known senses such as smell or hearing to avoid
danger such as predators. "

The "human" response to this tragedy is to blame ourselves for not using
enough and as a result to add more technology.  But might that not just
further erode our diminishing connection to the Earth, augmenting the
illusion that we can control it's power, that we will forever escape its
grip?  I love technology.  I'm using it right now in an almost magical way
to communicate to people all over the world.  But using technology
exclusively is like standing on one leg.  Sooner or later, you're gonna fall
down.

Maggie