[Marxism] Workers Sieze Alcan Smelter in Quebec

usman x sandinista at shaw.ca
Tue Feb 3 01:24:45 MST 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Gregory Lewis

http://www.canada.com/search/story.aspx?id=6d762d9d-c3e2-4e77-8d46-6d5d91388
> [...]
> natural evolution of the employment, that we'd have
> enough retirements to
> more than offset the job reductions so that people
> could be transferred and
> there would not be any layoffs," Engen said.
> Alcan had been in discussions with union
> representatives before the
> company's announcement Jan. 22 that it plans to
> close
> the facility. But the
> workers' representatives have been unwilling to talk
> since then, he said.
> "We remain open, interested, available. And would
> welcome whatever steps
> could be taken to open up a dialogue," Engen told
> reporters.
> Alcan had started the closure process, which
> requires
> several weeks. But
> Rolland Poirier, the union local's general
> secretary,
> said in an interview
> the workers took over the plant last Tuesday "and
> stopped the closure
> process."
> Poirier said Monday the mill's foremen are making
> inspections at the mill,
> which still runs 24 hours a day, "but the operating
> decisions are being
> made by the operators."
> The last of the four potlines was to be closed at
> the
> start of April,
> Poirier said. He added that the Quebec government
> has
> named a mediator to
> try to resolve the dispute.
> Although Alcan is rationalizing its global
> operations
> since the acquisition
> of Pechiney SA of France in December, Engen said the
> closure of the
> Jonquiere smelter was due to its aging technology
> and
> desire to avoid
> layoffs.
> But Engen said he does expect layoffs will result
> from
> its takeover of
> Pechiney, particularly some of the functions at its
> Paris headquarters.
> Montreal-based Alcan (TSX:AL) is the world's largest
> aluminum producer by
> revenue after its recent takeover of Pechiney,
> completed last month for
> $6.3 billion.
> ) Copyright 2004 The Canadian Press
> Project-X list:
> initiated for the (re)building of the Left.
>
> =====
> "It does not matter how many people chose moral
> duty over the rationality of self-preservation -
> what does matter is that some did. Evil is not
> all-powerful. It can be resisted. The testimony of
> the few who did resist shatters the authority of the
> logic of self-preservation. It shows it for what it
> is in the end - a choice."
>
> - Zygmunt Bauman, 'Modernity and the Holocaust'

> Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free web site building tool.

=====
Gregory C. Lewis, Certified Instructor; Kenzen Karate.
Member; National Association of Professional Martial Artists (NAPMA).
206-956-4043

Trainer Fit Pro (ACE certified); 24 Hour Fitness-Downtown Seattle Sport
1827 Yale Street; Seattle, WA 98101. 206-624-0651

How is YOUR nutrition? Find out now: http://147.208.9.133/Default.asp

Take the Self-Protection Quiz (For Women):
http://www.aware.org/cgi-bin/questionnaire.cgi