[Marxism] An unlikely "Mad Cow" activist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Feb 3 07:15:29 MST 2004

NY Times, February 3, 2004
Man Who Killed the Mad Cow Has Questions of His Own
By DONALD G. McNEIL Jr.

Shooting a cow turned Dave Louthan into a crusader.

On Dec. 9, at Vern's Moses Lake Meats in Moses Lake, Wash., Mr. Louthan
killed the only mad cow found in the United States.

Two weeks later, he says, he was dismissed after four years as Vern's
slaughterer when he talked to the television crews outside and told them
he was sure the cow, ground into hamburger, had already been eaten. The
plant's owners did not return calls seeking comment.

"I got a big mouth," he said in a telephone interview.

Since then, it has gotten bigger. Using borrowed computers — he has none
of his own, only "a microwave and a TV that gets four channels" — he
started writing to newspapers, and is to testify today before the
Washington State Legislature.

Contrary to reports from the federal Department of Agriculture, he
asserts that the cow he killed was not too sick to walk. And it was
caught not by routine surveillance, he says, but by "a fluke": he killed
it outdoors because he feared it would trample other cows lying
prostrate in its trailer, and the plant's testing program called for
sampling cows killed outside only.

"Mad cows aren't downers," he said. "They're up and they're crazy." The
Agriculture Department disputes his account. Dr. Kenneth Petersen, a
food safety official, faxed copies of the Dec. 9 inspector's report
saying the cow was "sternal," or down on its chest.

Mr. Louthan said he believed the government changed the report on Dec.
23, during the panic at Vern's when a positive test was found. The
"smoking gun," he said, is that it is the only one on the page marked
"unable to get temp" while other cows' temperatures were recorded. It is
easy, he said, to get a rectal temperature from a downed cow but hard
from a jumpy one.

Dr. Petersen said that he had no indication the records were altered and
that the veterinarian had told him the animal was lying so close to the
trailer wall that a thermometer could not be used.

In his new role as bloody-handed industry critic, Mr. Louthan argues
that too few cattle are tested for mad cow to say with certainty that
beef is safe. "One mad cow is a scare, but two is an epidemic," he said.
"They absolutely, positively don't want to find another."

Ed Curlett, a department spokesman, said about 83 a month were tested at
Vern's from October to December. (The testing began only in October,
when the government starting paying $10 a brain sample.)

The department has not changed last year's plans to test 40,000 cows
nationwide this year, out of 30 million slaughtered. Janet Riley, a
spokeswoman for the American Meat Institute, which represents
slaughterhouses, called that "plenty sufficient from a statistical
standpoint."

Mr. Louthan, who lives across the street from Vern's, said that the
slaughtering was "still going like crazy" but that an inspector in the
plant told him no more mad cow testing was being done.

Dr. Petersen said he did not know if Vern's was testing.

On Jan. 4, an angry Mr. Louthan started sending e-mail messages to all
the inspectors on the department's Web site, asking, "Are you just going
to sit there with your hands in your pockets?" and accusing Agriculture
Secretary Ann M. Veneman of lying when she said American beef was safe.

Since then, he said, green department cars have parked outside his house
"trying to scare me."

He gave the name and number of one agent who he said had told him to get
in the car and ordered him to stop sending e-mail. The agent refused to
speak to a reporter, but a spokesman said Mr. Louthan had asked that
they talk in the agent's car and the agent did not intimidate, harass or
argue with him.

Mr. Louthan is no animal-rights champion. His good-old-boy braggadocio
and Texas drawl make him sound like a parking-lot matador with a
knocking gun — a tube with a blank pistol cartridge that drives a bolt
into the brain. Killing is "really fun," and beats deboning, which he
calls "girls' work."

"I'm fast, I'm efficient, and I know how to get in through their flight
zones," he said, meaning the way nervous cows turn to flee.

At Vern's, he killed about 20 old dairy cows a day and buffaloes on
Thursdays, along with the odd ostrich, emu and alpaca.

The now famous cow, he said, was a white Holstein from the Sunny Dene
Ranch in Mabton, Wash.

She was "a good walker," he said. As the driver poked her with a cattle
prod, her eyes were "all white, bugging out."

"She wouldn't come down that step," he went on, "and I knew she was
fixing to double back in and trample the downers, and that's a mess," so
he killed her there.

Mr. Louthan was also the plant's carcass splitter, and he has a warning
about that too.

With a 400-pound band saw, he said, splitters cleave the spinal column
from neck to tail as hot-water jets blast fat and bone dust off the saw.
The slurry, with spinal cord in it, "runs all over the beef," he said.
The carcasses are then hosed with hot water and sprayed with vinegar.

Bucky Gwartney, director of research for the National Cattlemen's Beef
Association, confirmed that most American slaughterhouses do the same.
Since the Dec. 31 ruling that all cows older than 30 months must have
their brains and spinal cords removed, "processors are actively looking
at changes," he said.

Mr. Louthan said the agent who ordered him to be quiet suggested that he
was akin to "an urban terrorist" for spreading alarm about beef.

"I'm not," Mr. Louthan said. "I just want to enjoy my cheeseburger like
anybody else. I don't want to think: Is this the magic burger that's
going to kill me?"

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org