[Marxism] Re: Phil Ferguson and Free Trade

Nick Fredman sra at scu.edu.au
Tue Feb 3 20:01:55 MST 2004

Bob Gould wrote:

>PS. One of the curiosities of this particular issue is that it is my
>understanding that the leadership of the DSP, with whom Phil Ferguson likes
>to agree from time to time, have a similar point of view to mine on this
>question. Despite the fact that they support every comma of Lenin's theory
>of imperialism. Does this make them nationalists too?

I would agree with Bob that Marxists have to have a strategic
opposition to both free trade and protectionism, while sometimes
tactically opposing reductions in tariffs, even while explaining the
nationalist, class-collaborationist nature of protectionism
(historically linked to racism and xenophobia) to workers. I also
think we can also distinguish between the approach of the O'Neill
leadership of the TCFU, which prompted this exchange, and the more
explicitly left-nationalist approach of for example the Cameron
leadership of the Australian Manufacturing Workers Union. I discussed
some of these questions including the AMWU approach in an article
criticising left-nationalist opposition to the Australia-US Free
Trade Agreement http://www.greenleft.org.au/back/2003/565/565p9.htm

On strategic anti-protectionism see the DSP program:

"Protectionist measures, such as import tariffs, which are
professedly aimed at keeping jobs in Australia, are really aimed at
allowing Australian corporations to charge higher prices and reap
greater profits in the face of foreign competition. They are no less
inflationary than devaluation of the dollar, which deprives workers
of the possibility of purchasing less expensive foreign-made goods.

"Tariffs and currency devaluations are all aimed at imposing the
burden of the capitalist economic crisis on workers, whether in this
country or abroad. Instead, the workers' movement should demand a
state monopoly of foreign trade with decisions about what goods are
imported and exported subject to control by a central board elected
by a national conference of workers' control committees representing
each branch of industry".

http://www.dsp.org.au/dsp/program/prog41.html

On this and more tactical questions see a 1997 GL article "Tariffs
and 'free trade'" by Allen Myers

"Unions can usefully intervene in the tariffs debate only by clearly
and firmly insisting that no changes (from high tariffs to low or
vice versa) are acceptable unless they include provision to protect
existing jobs or provide new and at least equal jobs for all the
workers affected".

http://www.greenleft.org.au/back/1997/281/281p14.htm

--

Nick Fredman