[Marxism] The Tim Russert interview with President Bush: "We are going to take a quick break"

Jurriaan Bendien bendien at tomaatnet.nl
Sun Feb 8 08:59:26 MST 2004

President Bush: Every life is precious.  Every person that is willing to
sacrifice for this country deserves our praise, and yes.

Russert: But

President Bush: Let me finish.

Russert: Please.

President Bush: It's essential that I explain this properly to the parents
of those who lost their lives. Saddam Hussein was dangerous, and I'm not
gonna leave him in power and trust a madman.  He's a dangerous man.  He had
the ability to make weapons at the very minimum. For the parents of the
soldiers who have fallen, who are listening, David Kay, the weapons
inspector, came back and said, "In many ways Iraq was more dangerous than we
thought."  It's... we are in a war against these terrorists who will bring
great harm to America, and I've asked these young ones to sacrifice for
that. A free Iraq will change the world.  It's historic times.  A free Iraq
will make it easier for other children in our own country to grow up in a
safer world, because in the Middle East is where you find the hatred and
violence that enables the enemy to recruit its killers. And, Tim, as you can
tell, I've got a foreign policy that is one that believes America has a
responsibility in this world to lead, a responsibility to lead in the war
against terror, a responsibility to speak clearly about the threats that we
all face, a responsibility to promote freedom, to free people from the
clutches of barbaric people such as Saddam Hussein who tortured, mutilated
there were mass graves that we have found  a responsibility to fight AIDS,
the pandemic of AIDS, and to feed the hungry.  We have a responsibility. To
me that is history's call to America.  I accept the call, and will continue
to lead in that direction.

Russert: In light of not finding the weapons of mass destruction, do you
believe the war in Iraq is a war of choice or a war of necessity?

President Bush: I think that's an interesting question.  Please elaborate on
that a little bit.  A war of choice or a war of necessity?  It's a war of
necessity.  We... in my judgment, we had no choice when we look at the
intelligence... I looked at that... says the man was a threat.  And you
know, we will find out about the weapons of mass destruction that we all
thought were there.  That's part of the Iraqi survey group, and the group I
put together to look at. But again, I repeat to you, I don't want to sound
like a broken record, but David Kay, who is the man who led the Iraqi survey
group, who has now returned with an interim report, clearly said that the
place was a dangerous place.  When asked if President Bush had done...  had
made the right decision, he said yes.  In other words, the evidence we have
uncovered thus far, says we had no choice.

Russert: We are going to take a quick break

Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4179618/