[Marxism] Re.: Walter Mosley, mystery writer

Chris Brady cdbrady at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 8 13:05:12 MST 2004

Thanks for turning us on to that interview.  I just recently took up a
novel by Mosley, A Red Death.  I enjoyed it immensely.  I'm glad he's
getting more play.

Odd that, in the context of Mosley's seemingly inflammatory concluding
remarks, the NYT magazine didn't mention his other recent, nonfiction
book:

What Next: A Memoir Toward World Peace

I got this on the Amazon.com page:
>From Publishers Weekly
This impassioned essay urges black Americans to take the lead in shaping
America’s response to the September 11 attacks.  Mosley, author of the
Easy Rawlins mystery series, puts forth a radical critique of U.S.
foreign policy, recalling U.S. interventions in Indochina, Central
America and the Middle East to assert that America often acts as a
“pillager-nation” concerned more with corporate profits and cheap oil
than with democracy and human rights; Arab antipathy towards the U.S. is
thus more a response to U.S. economic imperialism than to religious or
cultural antagonisms.  Drawing on memories of his father’s struggle
against racism, he argues that blacks’ experience of racial injustice in
the United States obligates them to sympathize with oppressed peoples
elsewhere and to understand (although Mosley does not condone) the
murderous rage directed at America by many in the Muslim world.  He
exhorts blacks to take the lead in resisting the current militaristic
response to terrorism and to demand that America harmonize its foreign
policy with its humanitarian ideals and with the interests of the
downtrodden “from Africa to Afghanistan.”  Interweaving the personal and
the polemical, Mosley aims to shock readers out of their moral
complacency; “It is up to me,” he writes, “to make sure that my
dark-skinned brothers and sisters around the world...are not enslaved,
vilified, and raped by my desire to eat cornflakes or take a drive.”
Although his exclusive focus on economic motives somewhat oversimplifies
U.S. foreign policy, he raises a compelling and eloquent challenge to
America’s role in the world.