[Marxism] Re.: Nat Turner: A Troublesome Property

Chris Brady cdbrady at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 8 14:52:54 MST 2004

When I went into graduate studies of history I had a professor who
remarked upon the relative lack of rebellion on the part of American
(i.e., USA and pre-USA) slaves.  His insinuation was that slaves had it
better in the USA, and/or that they were better or more efficiently
managed than could be achieved by lesser overlords to the south.  He, of
course, did note Nat Turner, but as the exception.  He never mentioned
the Red String Conspiracy or the famous work of Herbert Aptheker.  The
page sent by Yoshie likewise failed to mention the work of Aptheker,
despite its claims to diverse perspectives on history—an outlook that I
actually support, if it is actually and fully seen through

Here’s a portion of an interview of one of the trail-blazing Marxist
writers of Black History by a contemporary Black Marxist historian:

Interview of Herbert Aptheker

by Robin D. G. Kelley
The Journal of American History, Vol. 87, No. 1

Kelley:  Let's talk about your dissertation, which became American Negro
Slave Revolts.  Was it an extension of your work on Nat Turner?

Aptheker:  American Negro Slave Revolts did continue my earlier work.  I
discovered in working on Nat Turner that his rebellion was not unique.
On the contrary, it was simply the high point of a period of slave
unrest, which is why the federal government had reinforced its forts in
North Carolina, Virginia, and Louisiana prior to the Turner uprising.
There had been premonitions, and of course there are things that were
kept secret by the slave owners that we will probably never penetrate.