[Marxism] [Fwd: Katz and Zamora]

Johannes Schneider Johannes.Schneider at gmx.net
Wed Feb 11 02:46:50 MST 2004

Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> forwarded from Matías Scaglione :

> lnp3 at panix.com:
>
>  > Can't say that this comes as a big surprise. Katz is a leader of the
>  > Autonomy and Freedom (Autonomia y Libertad) movement in Argentina,
> which
>  > was founded by Luis Zamora, an ex-Morenoite who became converted to
>  > autonomist-Zapatismo. They've never run into a state anywhere that can
>  > live up to their satisfaction.
>
> The name of the party is Autodeterminación y Libertad
> (Self-determination and Freedom, www.caminamos.com.ar), and I do not see
> Katz as a leader of it but as an "intellectual support". He is the
> leader of a group called Economist of the Left (Economistas de Izquierda
> (EDI),http://www.geocities.com/economistas_de_izquierda/ ), to my view a
> sectarian, narrow-minded and "economicist" bunch of guys. Despite these
> little details, I agree with your opinion about Claudio Katz. It is
> annoying how popular is this person in leftist circles of the USA.
>
> Matías

Actually I do not care much about one sectarian calling the other
sectarian, Morenoite, Autonomist or whatever, but what I care about are
arguments and I had the impression that this what this list is made for
and not about cheap jokes where to get satisfaction from or not.

In the article I quoted
http://www.alcaabajo.cu/sitio/stop_ftaa/mercosur_and_the_ftaa_200104.htm
Katz argues that Brazil and Argentina lack coordinated policies in order
to confront US-imperialism and instead of challenging neoliberalism they
are making concessions to it.

Katz may be wrong, but name-calling does not reject his arguments.

Johannes