[Marxism] [Fwd: Katz and Zamora]

Johannes Schneider Johannes.Schneider at gmx.net
Wed Feb 11 08:35:27 MST 2004

Louis Proyect wrote:

> Katz's article outlines 3 distinct political actors:
>
> 1. US imperialism, which pushes the FTAA.
>
> 2. Kirchner/Lula and their allies, who are promoting a 'social' Mercosur
> more responsive to the needs of the poor.
>
> 3. A anti-imperialist front that would "halt the payment of the foreign
> debt", etc.
>
> Of the three positions, I favor the third but it is important to draw a
> contrast between positions 1 and 2. [...]

Anyone who does not, would be an idiot. But does this mean an alliance
between 2 and 3 to fight 1 is possible?
I doubt the chance for such an alliance: Given the various ties between
the "national" bourgeoisie and imperialism it strikes me as an utopian
idea. The intentions of the Chilean government to negotiate a seperate
agreement with the US is a sign for that.
Lula's austerity measures (e.g. the pension reform) shows there is little
political space for an alliance between 2 and 3.

Johannes