[Marxism] Re.: Haiti, a Caracas redux

Chris Brady cdbrady at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 11 18:00:13 MST 2004

White House rebukes Haitian government for unrest

(AP) Wednesday, February 11, 2004

WASHINGTON-- With the Haitian government locked in a deadly battle with
opponents, the White House on Wednesday issued a rebuke of President
Jean-Bertrand Aristide’s government.

“We are extremely concerned about the wave of violence spreading through
Haiti.  And we certainly deeply regret the loss of life,” said Scott
McClellan, press secretary to President Bush.  “We call on the
government to respect the rights, especially human rights, of the
citizens and residents of Haiti.”
[clip]
He stopped short of criticizing Aristide’s government a fraud.
[what a diplomat!]
“Right now, our focus is supporting the efforts in the region,”
McClellan said. “Anytime there is corruption anywhere, there is a
concern.”
[Look around, Mr. McClellan.]

Full:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/02/11/national1619EST0761.DTL