[Marxism] Gen. Vo Nguyen Giap sez "Thanks, Kerry!" vs the North Star

Peter McLaren mclaren at gseis.ucla.edu
Thu Feb 12 03:12:11 MST 2004

Chris wrote:

Gen. Giap: Kerry's Group Helped Hanoi Defeat U.S.

 Tuesday, Feb. 10, 2004
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/2/10/222651.shtml

In his 1985 memoir about the war, Gen. Vo Nguyen Giap wrote that if it
weren't for
organizations like Kerry's Vietnam Veterans Against the War, Hanoi would
have surrendered to the U.S. - according to Fox News Channel war
historian Oliver North.
[clip]
"People are going to remember Gen. Giap saying if it weren't for these
guys [Kerry's group], we would have lost," North told radio host Sean
Hannity.

"The Vietnam Veterans Against the War encouraged people to desert,
encouraged
people to mutiny - some used what they wrote to justify fragging
officers," noted
the former Marine lieutenant colonel, who earned two purple hearts in
Vietnam.

"John Kerry has blood of American soldiers on his hands," North said.

[Great site, Peter!  After reading this stuff, I feel like someone
spiked my pasta sauce with a handful of extra special mushrooms... what
a trip!  OUT there...  The VVAW actually did just the opposite from
drenching themselves in patriots' blood; they helped save lives from a
war even Robert McNamara now admits was wrong.  North must have rabies.
-----
Right on, Chris!
Yeah, I figured North would emerge as a major attack dog and that he would
go right after Kerry.  Former White House secretary Fawn Hall, who worked
for   North, and shredded documents to prevent the Iran-contra initiatives
from becoming public,  explaining that there were "times when you have to go
above the written law,"  showed up at my house a couple of years ago and
snapped a photo of me for a friend of hers that was doing a dissertation on,
of all people, Paulo Freire -- it's a long story. Over some herbal tea made
by my wife, Fawn mentioned that she was reading Foucault with her husband,
in bed, at night, and said she'd like to read something by me...so I gave
her one of my books (one with a cut on North in fact)...anyway...I thought:
This could only happen here in Hollywood. A doctoral student had contacted
me out of the blue (a grad student  in another state) because she wanted to
talk to me about Freire, and after we talked at the Coffee Bean down the
street and came back to my house to get some books, her "friend" showed  up
to pick her up -- in walks Fawn Hall, camera in hand.  It was too
weird...anyway...yeah, those right wing sites are a trip.
Watch out for North...
Anyway, if I catch Fawn around the neighborhood, which I occasionally do,
I'll try to drag her down to Pavillions with me to picket with the grocery
strikers...I'm sure she won't go, but it will be a lot of fun asking...
best
Peter