[Marxism] Kerrey: Off The Issues

Jeff Rubard jeffrubard at fusemail.com
Sat Feb 14 02:00:05 MST 2004

> Message: 6
> Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 22:02:01 -0500
> From: Jon Flanders <jonathan.flanders at verizon.net>
> Subject: Re: [Marxism] Establishment of new draft in preparation --
> 	early	2005 a possibility
> To: Activists and scholars in Marxist tradition
> 	<marxism at lists.econ.utah.edu>
>

>> By the time we have some experience with the next administration, we
>> may be kind of nostalgic about what is beginning to shape up as the
>> paralyzed last year of the Bush administration.  The recent retreat on
>> the attack on the antiwar movement in Iowa is a further indication
>> that the administration is running out of gas in pursuing the basic
>> policies of the US rulers.
>> Fred Feldman
>
> Exactly why War Hero/Anti-war Vet John Kerry makes a lot of sense as
> replacement for Bush. He will have(and be given) the credibility Bush
> lacks to continue in Afghanistan/Iraq and institute a draft if it is
> deemed necessary.
>
> With the caveat that I expect the Republicans will pull out all the
> stops to throw mud at Kerry. Already we have photos with Jane Fonda,
> allegations of dalliances with an intern and commercials highlighting
> Kerry's ties to "special interests."

Well, ties he has through Teresa Heinz's fortune (itself tied to the
silent death machines that are Pittsburgh factories).  Otherwise, Kerrey
is a real traditional DLC "flip-lab": with respect to political positions
every bet is hedged.  If you liked Clinton, you'll like Kerry fine: if
"less warm", he's more authentic.  If you're looking for a candidate whose
"parliamentary fraction" the left can seriously, constructively engage
with my suggestion is to look elsewhere.

Rubard