[Marxism] I promise a longer posting on tango, but

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Mon Feb 16 05:09:27 MST 2004

for the time being, I would like to state that not only tango, also
Argentinean inland country folklore are very popular in Japan.

We have received many excellent Japanese tango singers, and one of
them, in particular, Ranko Fujisawa, won our hearts for ever. She was
an extraordinary singer, and could have been a Buenos Aires-born
tango performer.

As to the history of tango, there are many mistakes and inaccuracies
in the text that Louis has sent to the list.

Two basic issues: (a) it is not true that during the 30s tango was
ever persecuted. Much to the contrary, this is one of its greatest
moments (Gardel died in 1938).  There was some persecution during the
1943-45 government, but this is an entirely different thing.

(b) there are two kinds of "milonga".  One of them is the urban
"milonga", which is the one that J.B. refers to, and then you have
the "milonga surera"  (Southerner milonga) which is the "milonga" of
the gauchos.

Finally, for the time being: perhaps you did not know it, but tango
and early jazz share their origin, and this common origin does not
lie in Negro music (which of course has a strong influence,
particularly on the urban milonga, originally a Negro dance) but in
the "habanera", a common source coming from Southern Spain.

Through the Antilles and the Caribbean the "habanera"  reached New
Orleans, and Buenos Aires.  Along the way, some tangos were written
by the turn of the 19th/20th Century in --Rio de Janeiro!

Will return on this fascinating piece of history.  The history of
tango is deeply enmeshed with the history of Argentina, and not only
with immigrants.

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar

Buenos Aires, 1822