[Marxism] Nader to Bypass DillyDallying Greens?

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Mon Feb 16 07:12:42 MST 2004

Tony,  you have blanketed the Greens in your own mind as kind of Nader
cultists.  Indeed, you justify this by saying, in part, that "the
public" (ie., you) identify the Green Party with Nader.   Once you
convince yourself of this, you think you understand the Greens and all
evidence to the contrary "did not compute".

As a case in point, I have repeatedly argued that understanding the
Greens required more than your Nader-esque shorthand, but you now
challenge me to state an opinion.  Clearly, assuming that you are honest
in saying this, you've just not processing information contrary to your
hand-puppet view of things. That's sad.

The basis for your current "analysis" is simple enough: "My feeling is
simply that the Green Party leadership and Nader have a disagreement
about how best to put a Democrat into office..."  Like any good American
consumer, you've picked the feeling that comforts you by confirming your
illusion that you understand something.  And anyone who wants some basis
for these groundless assertions in evidence or wants to discuss them is
picking on you.

These problems with your "analysis" make it a thoroughly insignificant
point as to whether the Greens are dilly dallying not to have a
presidential nomination before the summer, but I'll address that
briefly.  In the past decades, the dominant factions of the ruling class
have made politics increasingly expensive, in part by extending the
length of the presidential campaigns.  This requires a candidate (not
the party) to finance a campaign for many months longer on their own
before they can get a party nomination.  Then, too, success usually goes
to the party who raises and spends the most, yet another special goose
to the incumbents.  Obviously, the longer presidential campaign will
generate a bigger audience and higher advertising revenues for the press
and broadcast media.  It also reduces news coverage to mere coverage of
the horse race.  ...and, of course, it gives the media ample opportunity
to make more news by microscoping the pasts of both candidates (less so
for the one already in power to make regulator decisions over the media,
of course).

Talking in February about "dilly dallying" on a nomination for a
November election suits the accounts receivable people in the ad biz,
but everyone concerned about the impact of big money on the electoral
process would tend to disagree.  I'm really not surprised that you
don't.

Solidarity!
Mark L.