[Marxism] Re: The hijab controversy

Johannes Schneider Johannes.Schneider at gmx.net
Tue Feb 17 04:16:58 MST 2004

Marvin Gandall wrote:

> Johannes also says that "Friedrich Engels was even in favour of
> tolerance for religious schools. In
> 1891 he wrote...'You cannot bar the churches from founding schools out
> of their own money and teaching their non-sense there" (My translation,
> JS)'.
>
> This isn't in dispute. I don't think anyone is proposing the forcible
> closure of religious schools

Paul wrote:

"education is secular. This involves the abolition of religious schools"

I know Paul can speak for himself, but do I misunderstand him when I say
he proposes the closure of religious schools?

Engels might have been wrong or today the question of religious schools
needs another answer, but I think it is wrong to see an agreement, where
there is in fact some disagreement in the immediate demands to raise.

Johannes