[Marxism] Re: The hijab controversy

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at rogers.com
Tue Feb 17 06:40:37 MST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jose G. Perez" <elgusanorojo at bellsouth.net>
To: "'Activists and scholars in Marxist tradition'"
<marxism at lists.econ.utah.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 12:27 AM
Subject: RE: [Marxism] Re: The hijab controversy

Marvin Gandall writes:
>>It seems apparent from the quote cited above by Jose that Marx
distinguished between the Prussian and other embryonic European school
systems, which were run from the top down by state bureaucrats, and the
American system, where control over the curriculum and other matters was
vested in publicly-elected school boards. In neither case, however, does
Marx oppose the principle of public control over funding, teaching
qualifications, and the organization of the school system, which, he
notes, is "a very different thing from appointing the state as the
educator of the people".<<

I think we should remember that Marx was writing in 1875.

(snip)

I don't think that has anything much to do with the situation in
imperialist countries *today* and certain not in the United States.

(snip)

This doesn't mean, of course, that struggles by working people and
especially the nationally oppressed for locally elected school
authorities, or electoral procedures giving them greater leverage over
the local board, should be shunned.

(snip)

José