[Marxism] "Native Americans"

David Quarter davidquarter at sympatico.ca
Wed Feb 18 23:58:49 MST 2004

Date sent:      	Tue, 17 Feb 2004 10:48:40 -0800
From:           	"Craven, Jim" <JCraven at clark.edu>

> When I hear this term, "Native Americans", my blood boils. And
it is the
> same for many "Natives" (we use this term not as a shorthand for
"Native
> Americans" but as shorthand for "of Indigenous ancestry") I
know. Why?>>>>

 The historical significance of the term aside, I'm glad to know  that
"we" (you) speak for all aboriginal people throughout the land.
 I'll inform a good buddy of mine of this tomorrow...And from now on
whenever I hear him refer to himself, or "his" people, as "native(s)"
or "Indian(s)", I'll slap him on the side of his head on your behalf...

> The second reason this term makes my blood boil is that it
genericizes
> and homogenizes diverse nations--as it is intended to do-- and
glosses
> over the reality of separate and very diverse Indigenous nations,
with
> very diverse cultures and histories [...]<<<<

  *Kind* of like  "dam white academics" (to paraphase your
statement a while back)?

  I see your point, but I also remember you  being dismissive when
I pointed out the way you similarly homogenize Europeans, as you
do again below with: "white liberals" . Who exactly are they?.

DOQ

<<> Finally this term is most often employed by solicitious white liberals