[Marxism] RE: Good Analysis from Soft Rock Icon

Calvin Broadbent calvinbroadbent at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 19 04:14:25 MST 2004

Personally, one of the reasons I don't regard downloading as immoral (or at
least no more immoral than stealing from a multinational record store), is
that a lot of these music 'artists' flaunt the amount of wealth they
(currently) possess and appear to be swimming in money. The bigger pop
artists, the Justin Timberlakes etc., are rich parasites, and I don't mind
people ripping off their weak sounds.
On the other hand, if music has real substance, style, rawness,
experimentation, or a progressive lyrical content, and the musicians
involved are not ex or wannabe disney club graduates like Britney, Justin,
or any of the other rich idiots, and even from a poorer economic background,
I don't support their music being pilfered. I wouldn't dream of downloading
music by a lot of the better hip hop or punk artists for example, without
having purchased at least some of their output. Music is a competitive
market, and even where artists supposedly have control, if they want to stay
competitive they will need to answer to the moe dominant market (artistic)
trends, i.e. songs about money, 'love', and party and bullshit.