[Marxism] Iraq and Ireland and anti-imperialism

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Thu Feb 19 04:53:16 MST 2004

Respuesta a: [Marxism] Iraq and Ireland and anti-imperialism
Remitido por: Philip Ferguson
Fecha: Jueves 19 de Febrero de 2004
Hora: 18:17
*****

I don't know who is Phil F. debating with on the e-mail I am answering now. But I tend to believe that Phil is right.

Essentially, because I saw what follows, once again, on a debate regarding the situation in the colonial areas of the Earth:

> Leftists in the West who attempt to tell occupied Iraq not to engage in
> armed resistance are just contemptible chauvinists and reformists.

Can anyone guess a better demonstration of the immense power and
might of the imperialist bourgeoisies than the simple fact that it is
the necessary to repeat this _truism_ over and over again, even on a
Marxist list where most participants are, want to be, or believe to
be dedicated revolutionaries?

Let us put it in elementary language.

You get a swarm of foreign, imperialist, soldiers, into your country.
OK. This is clear. Save for utter social-imperialists who I am not
interested in having business with, we are all agreed on that this is
an accurate description of the current Iraqi situation, are we not.

Now, these soldiers protect and establish a system which is turning
your life into a surrogate of hell. Let us try to put ourselves in
the skins of the Iraqis.  What can we do with the invaders?

Well, there is not such a vast array of possibilities.

You can (a) greet them, (b) blast them, or perhaps (c) make them
believe you greet them while you support those who blast them.  You
can also (d) try to make people believe that you hate them while you
greet them.

People in the Third World -and Iraq is a Third World country- are
normal people. Heroism is good for many things, but it does seldom
become an everyday feature of _most_ people, of millions. Common
people are hindered by multiple vices that somehow don't allow them
to be as heroic as many in their armchairs want them to be.

For example, people want to eat, you know. And they have a queer idea
that if they don't get a job they may lose their opportunity to eat
properly. Maybe they have a family. Children. Some parents or
relatives you must take care for.  It is quite a sad situation:
revolutionary politics, as a Salteño Indian chief told to some cdes.
of mine thirty years ago (tears in his eyes), can become "too
expensive a luxury for common people".

Thus, most people will not, save for exceptional conditions, choose
alternative (b).  They will waver between (c) and (d). In essence,
however, the final result depends on the balance of forces between
those adopting positions (a) or (b).  This balance of forces will win
the battle for the hearts, and make common people believe that
position (c) is not only morally better but also _more practical_
than position (d).  When you have this, then you are the winner.

Is it _so difficult_ to understand that anyone who makes it
impossible for the occupation forces to have a good night's sleep is
helping those in the (b) band?

If it looks too simple, I am sorry: that is the way actual world
works. What is not _that_ simple is the ways in which people in the
First World, with the best intentions admittedly, are carried to
believe that things are somehow more complex thant the simpleton
schema above.

I agree with Phil F's final paragraph. So that I will put it here,
again:

"The fact that the US is in a quagmire in Iraq is largely due to the
armed resistance.  If the left in the West can't turn that to
advantage then it really is pretty pathetic and pretty stuffed."

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar

Buenos Aires, 1822