[Marxism] Query to Jim C

Craven, Jim JCraven at clark.edu
Thu Feb 19 09:07:04 MST 2004

 From this and the other comments in this particular post, can I take it

you disagree with those who chose the name American Indian Movement
(AIM) in the 1970s?  And that you disagree with their pan-Native nations

approach?

Or, is it just that things have moved on since then and that most
activists who used terms like 'Native American' in the 1970s would no
longer use such a term or try to build a movement than spanned the
different indigenous peoples of North America?

Philip Ferguson

Response: It depends upon whether or not you--and the routinely sniping
and posturing punk Quarter--can read and understand basic English and
elementary logic. Nothing in my missive: a) states or implies I purport
to speak for all natives; b)the focus is on both terms--native and
American--and the fact that many Natives do not consider themselves
"Americans" (as citizenship was forced on Native nations in 1924 and/or
they do not feel to be any part of "America" seen as a colonizing and
occupying power) nor do they focus on the "native" aspect in the term
"native americans" in any kind of "nativist" sense because of the often
implied nativism (not "native" in the sense of being of indigenous
ancestry but "native" in the [wrong] sense that there is some sort of
implication that the longer one's ancestors have been in the Americas
the more "real American" one is); c) nothing in the discussion of the
reality of diverse Indigenous nations implies or sanctions any kind of
repudiation of a need for a pan-Native-nations movement (of which I
personally have been a part for over 30 years);
e) the realization of the history and real motives behind forced
assimilation and citizenship of Natives in 1924 in the U.S. and of
Indigenous Peoples in the 1960s in Canada and elsewhere--for the same
reasons--also leads to a repudiation of the term "Native American" as
the term has definite implications and effects in terms of glossing over
the real history of how Natives became "Americans";

But all of this is an illustration why many natives I know (which is
exactly how I framed it in my original missive) want nothing to do with
so-called non-ndn "radicals" especially those whose contributions to
world revolution and linking up with various sections of the oppressed
amount to not much more than sitting on their asses in comfortable
places, running their fingers over keyboards and playing at revolution
and radical consciousness through sniping, "gotcha" (usually with
misrepresentations of what was originally argued to which they are
responding) jargon and sloganeering, cherry picking data and
quote-mongering (read blind appeals to authority as if opinion were
evidence) from the revered saints of Marxism and just snotty comments
like the one above.

Jim C