[Marxism] Christopher Browning

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Feb 19 13:01:19 MST 2004

Atlantic Unbound | February 11, 2004

Interviews

An Insidious Evil

Christopher Browning, the author of The Origins of the Final Solution,
explains how ordinary Germans came to accept as inevitable the
extermination of the Jews

The Origins of the Final Solution: September 1939-March 1942

by Christopher Browning
University of Nebraska Press
640 pages, $39.95

In 1968, when Christopher Browning was a doctoral student at the
University of Wisconsin, he proposed a dissertation topic centering on
the Nazi era. His advisor responded with mixed advice: "This would make
a great dissertation, but you know there's no academic future in
researching the Holocaust."

Less than a decade later, the Holocaust was being studied at
universities around the world, and Browning found himself at the
forefront of a new academic field. So respected was his work that, in
the 1980s, he was approached by Israel's Holocaust museum, Yad Vashem,
about working on a project. The museum had received funding to print a
multivolume series about the Nazi era, each book summarizing the
experiences of Jews in a different region of Europe. The project also
called for three volumes that would trace the Nazis' development of the
Final Solution. None of the Israeli researchers involved were eager to
explore the topic from the side of the perpetrators, so the task fell to
a group of non-Jewish academics, each of whom would write on a different
few-year period, tracing the key decisions that gave rise to the Holocaust.

After two decades of research, Browning's volume, The Origins of the
Final Solution: September 1939-March 1942, will be released in March of
this year, the first in the series to be published in English. Like so
many authors before him, Browning sets out to answer the question, "How
could the Holocaust have happened?" The book covers much familiar
ground—train deportations, mass shootings in the East, early experiments
with poison gas. What makes Browning's treatment different from many
others is his insistence on considering historical events as they
unfolded, rather than through the lens of hindsight. Browning does not
view the Final Solution as a master plan, carefully crafted by Hitler at
the beginning of the Nazi era. Instead, he looks at Nazi Jewish policy
as an evolving reality that unfolded over an extended period of time,
beginning with a program to expel rather than exterminate Germany's Jews:

"Too often, these policies and this period have been seen through a
perspective influenced, indeed distorted and overwhelmed, by the
catastrophe that followed. The policy of Jewish expulsion ... was for
many years not taken as seriously by historians as it had been by the
Nazis themselves."

As late as the spring of 1940, Nazi leaders dismissed the idea of mass
murder in favor of relocating the Jews to a colony in Africa. "This
method [of deportation] is still the mildest and best," wrote Gestapo
Chief Heinrich Himmler in May of that year, "if one rejects the
Bolshevik method of physical extermination of a people out of inner
conviction as un-German and impossible." The so-called Madagascar Plan
was aborted when Germany lost the Battle of Britain later in 1940.

Browning presents the "gas van," introduced in 1939 to kill the mentally
ill, as the first significant step toward Nazi extermination camps.
Based on the theory of eugenics, an offshoot of nineteenth-century
Darwinist thought, the Nazis formulated a program in which euthanasia
was used to remove those they deemed genetically weak. They developed a
system wherein a van disguised with the label "Kaiser's Coffee Company"
was driven through the countryside, loaded up with mental patients,
pumped full of carbon monoxide, and driven to remote areas for forest
burials. During the following years, gassing would be introduced for
targeted and later mass killings at concentration camps.

The summer of 1941 brought, in Browning's view, a "quantum leap" toward
the Holocaust. Before that time, Jews had been socially marginalized,
ghettoized, relocated en masse, and singled out for waves of killings
from among larger groups of those considered suspect or inferior (such
as alleged Communists and mental patients). But it was not until
Operation Barbarossa, when the Germans invaded the Soviet Union, that
Nazi officials began killing large groups of Jewish men, women, and
children. From this time onward, writes Browning:

"…no further escalation in the process was conceivable. It implied the
physical elimination of all Jews, irrespective of gender, age,
occupation, or behavior, and led directly to the destruction of entire
communities and the 'de-Jewification' of vast areas. The question was no
longer why the Jews should be killed, but why they should not be killed.
In leading the reader from the Nazis' early deportation of Jews to the
launch of the extermination program in 1942, Browning's book does not
seek a single grand theory behind the Final Solution. Instead, Browning
focuses on the series of contingencies and decisions that brought the
Germans increment by increment to such an extreme. The result is a
vision of evil whose origins are not otherworldly but unnervingly human.

Browning currently resides in Chapel Hill, where he is the Frank Porter
Graham Professor of History at the University of North Carolina. I spoke
with him by telephone on February 3, 2004.

—Jennie Rothenberg

Q: One point you emphasize throughout the book is the need to look at
history stage by stage, without taking into account what we know now.
Why do you feel it is important to consider the deportation of Jews as a
phase unto itself rather than as a stepping stone to extermination?

A: The initial or easy tendency in looking at history is to see it
through hindsight. We know ultimately what happened, and therefore we go
back and look at all the steps that led to it happening but remove all
the contingencies. We're very well aware at this moment that we can't
predict the future. But we go back and somehow assume that we can impose
a deterministic interpretation on the past because of what we know from
hindsight.

In doing that, we remove the fact that living historical actors at that
time, certainly in 1939 to 1941, didn't yet know what was going to
happen—neither the victims nor the perpetrators. And we cannot
understand the decisions they made unless we understand how they
perceived the world they were living in and the choices that they were
facing. We know that Jewish leaders made certain choices because they
couldn't even conceive of a program of systematic mass extermination
awaiting them. Also important is that the Nazis made decisions at this
point. They had various choices.

The goal of this book is to show where those different turning points
were, where people came to forks in the road and went one way instead of
another. This is essential to understanding not just what happened in
the end but how it happened. What was the step-by-step path that led
from the conquest of Poland in 1939 to the opening of the death camps in
1942?

full: http://www.theatlantic.com/unbound/interviews/int2004-02-11.htm

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org