[Marxism] Re: Baseless smears

Philip Ferguson plf13 at student.canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Feb 19 14:33:08 MST 2004

Donal writes:
> Philip, you are an arrogant clift! Ah well, makes me all the more
> worthwhile when I take you down a notch or two. Obviously, you are
> completely out of touch with what's happening here over the last year or
> so.

Donal, no-one would deny that the Brits use agents in republican groups
in Ireland like the RIRA.  You, however, suggested much more than this.
  You suggested that RIRA as a whole was run by the Brits.

Actually, the real British agents in the north of Ireland these days are
the leadership of the Provos, whom you suport.  They aren't undercover
agents, they are openly helping run the six-county state as part of
Britain and doing Britain's dirty work.

And these agents of imperialism have your full support.

So if you want to get into a discussion about arrogance, I'd just say
that it is arrogant in the extreme for anyone who supports Britain's
chief republican agents to start throwing around claims that RIRA is
being run by the British state.

Personally, I think RIRA should disband, or at least knock off armed
actions.  This is not because they are being run by the Brits, but
because there is simply no base upon which to organise an armed struggle
in Ireland today, thanks to the Provo sell-out.  It is that lack of a
social base which could act as a political corrective, and not British
control, which explains why RIRA has carried out some crazy military
operations.

I think it is also necessary to ask who is responsible for the existence
of RIRA.  RIRA exists because the Provo leadership did deals with the
Brits *behind the backs of the mass of activists in the movement
itself*.  The result was that some people drew the conclusion, as has
happened plenty of times in Irish republican history, that the
'politicals' had sold out yet again and that a bit of good old-fashioned
militarism was the necessary antidote.

Unfortunately, you support those secret deals and the participation of
the Provo leadership in helping run the colonial statelet in the six
counties.  This also explains why you have the awful position on Iraq
and are making excuses for the quisling Iraqi CP and its participation
in the imperialist 'governing council'.  After all, the logic of being
part of an imperialist governing council in Belfast, aka the Northern
Ireland Executive, is that the same kind of participation in Iraq is
also a good idea.

This kind of collaboration with imperialism is rationalised by a total
distortion of Gramsci's Marxism - namely, arguing that participating in
imperialist institutions imposed by occupation forces is some kind of
clever strategy in pursuit of 'a war of positions' for 'hegemony'.

Gramsci's idea of hegemony, however, was a revolutionary critique of how
capital develops ideoogical hegemony and social control.  It was not a
rationalisation of old-style reformism, which is what the 'radical
democracy' people who have usurped Gramsci are into and which the Provo
leadership is carrying out.

Philip Ferguson