[Marxism] We lied heroically and it worked, says Chalabi

Fred Feldman ffeldman at bellatlantic.net
Thu Feb 19 18:00:15 MST 2004

This is basically Churchill's "truth"-must-serve-the-war-effort
"bodyguard of lies" argument from World War II. This is  the whole U.S.
ruling class would be using if the occupation had not run into such
broad resistance of various kinds. As for Chalabi, his hopes to become
president may be on indefinite hold, but his circle of "friends" has
recently received $400 million in contracts from the occupation, so he
has every reason to be pleased with himself.
Fred Feldman

National Post	  February 19, 2004

Chalabi admits he lied about Iraq's weapons

'We are heroes in error,' former exiled leader says

By Jack Fairweather in Baghdad and Anton La Guardia in London

An Iraqi leader accused of feeding faulty pre-war intelligence to
Washington said yesterday his information about Saddam Hussein's
weapons, even if discredited, had achieved the aim of convincing the
United States to topple the dictator.

Ahmad Chalabi and his London-based exile group, the Iraqi National
Congress, for years provided a conduit for Iraqi defectors who were
debriefed by U.S. intelligence agents. But many American officials now
blame Mr. Chalabi for providing intelligence that turned out to be false
or wild exaggerations about Iraq's weapons of mass destruction.

Mr. Chalabi, by far the most effective anti-Saddam lobbyist in
Washington, shrugged off charges that he had deliberately misled US.
intelligence.

"We are heroes in error," he said in an interview in Baghdad, where is a
member of the Governing Council. "As far as we're concerned we've been
entirely successful. Our objective has been achieved. That tyrant Saddam
is gone and the Americans are in Baghdad. What was said before is not
important."

Mr. Chalabi added: "The Bush administration is looking for a scapegoat.
We're ready to fall on our swords if he [Mr. Bush] wants." His comments
are likely to inflame the debate on both sides of the Atlantic over the
quality of prewar intelligence, and the spin put on it by George W.
Bush, the U.S. President, and Tony Blair, the British Prime Minister, as
they argued for military action.

U.S. officials said last week that one of the most celebrated pieces of
false intelligence, the claim that Saddam Hussein had mobile biological
weapons laboratories, had come from a major in the Iraqi intelligence
service made available by the INC.

U.S. officials at first found the information credible and the defector
passed a lie-detector test. But in later interviews it became apparent
that he was stretching the truth and had been "coached by the INC." He
failed a second polygraph test and in May, 2002, intelligence agencies
were warned that the information was unreliable.

But analysts missed the warning, and the mobile laboratory story
remained firmly established in the catalogue of alleged Iraqi violations
until months after the overthrow of Saddam.

The United States claimed to have found two mobile laboratories, but the
trucks in fact held equipment to make hydrogen for weather balloons.
Last week, U.S. State Department officials admitted much of the
first-hand testimony they had received was "shaky."

The Daily Telegraph