[Marxism] Interlude 1

Waistline2 at aol.com Waistline2 at aol.com
Sat Feb 21 03:46:59 MST 2004

The monologue continues. Dialogue is to win the votes of the workers.

The African American people – as a people, have been at the heart of American
history. American history means its evolution as a value producing society.
Karl Marx observed this peculiar development and wrote much about slavery in
the colonies as a value producing system. Marxism and the National Question have
never faired well in America. The result has been disastrous and distorted
the Marxist movement. The anti-communist and anti-Soviet black elite are part of
a cabal of rascals that have fought for fifty years to prevent the
penetration of the Marxism conception of the national Question, within broad sections of
the proletariat.

Life asserts itself and no power on earth – short of its destruction, can
stamp out Bolshevism and forever suppress the brilliance of Marxism and the
National Question.  Bolshevism is the advanced political culture of the forward
thinking leaders of the proletariat. One has to cross the threshold of Stalin.

In the wake of the 1967 Rebellion in Detroit, emerged a group of militants
and radicals that had at it cores individuals that had just returned from Cuba
and had been honored by an audience with Fidel.

The intellectual core of these militants was John Watson, Kenneth Cockrel,
Mike Hamlin, Luke Tripp, John Williams and General Baker as the undisputed
leader of the proletarian core. General Bakers “Letter to the Draft Board” and “
Statement To Chrysler Corporation” has entered history and can be found in
numerous books covering the period of the late 1960s and early 1970s. Today General
Baker is a leading member of the League of Revolutionaries for a New America.

How this group came together is an interesting story that is currently being
written by a new generation of the black intellectual elite. What is
indisputable is that they formed a broad organization of insurgents whose core quickly
became communist and Marxists. Their form of organization was a federation or
grouping with members involved in every front of struggle. Their unity was
based on a formula written in the Communist Manifesto, “victory to the workers in
their current struggle.”

The member revolved around the production and distribution of literature –
perhaps 30 different shop papers, roughly 15 different Student newsletters and
the Inner City Voice. In the factory gate distributions students were utilized
in the early morning hour to shield the plant members from the harsh hand of
the company and the treachery of union officials.

How this group developed and evolved their signature Marxism is the stuff of
legend. Factory workers spent roughly two years working and studying from six
to eight hours a day, three to five times a week. Instrumental to this process
was Nelson Peery and the Guideline for the Study of Marxism. Everything in
Lenin was studied, Stalin’s 13 volumes were reproduced, the intellectual history
of the CPUSA was assembled, and all Chairman Mao writings were taught and
read. Proletarian publishers and our workers press reprinted classics from the
treasure house of Marxism including Stalin’s classic “History of the Communist
Party of the Soviet Union: Bolshevik Short Course.”

The reprinting in book form of “A Textbook of Marxist Philosophy” prepared
by the Leningrad Institute of Philosophy under the Direction of M. Shirkov, -
in 1974, remains one of the greatest intellectual weapons given to our
proletariat by the heroic Soviet proletariat. This text has been further clarified and
developed as expressed in the Marxist conception of the dialectic of the
leap. This material is available from the Institute for the Study of the Science
of Society, whose address is available on the front page of Marxmail.

At the core of these militants that became communists – perhaps twenty, every
single one without exception emerged as leader in the industrial union
movement. What is unusual is not communists winning elections, but that seventy
percent of this group was black and white women. Defying the impossible one of
these women (white) won a seat in the state House of Representatives in Georgia.

Our conception of Marxism and the National Question and the African American
Question is the only Marxist conception with validity. We claim this right
based on a verifiable history of thirty years of unrelenting struggle against the
ideologists and the fact that we win. Losing is extremely distasteful to us
and means we have not properly understood the direction and mood of the workers
who class instinct and demands we are to express. It falls to the winner to
give “name.”

Under the influence of Nelson Peery our communist group rapidly became
multi-national and unprecedented in the history of the American Union. Our
distinction was that we were dominated by women and black industrial workers. We
learned our Marxism the hard way – at the knee of Lenin and Stalin. While
acknowledging Leon Trotsky contributions to October as a petty bourgeois ideologists
(Lenin words), we have opposed political Trotskyism for a lifetime and block its
penetration into the industrial proletariat and that section of the African
American people movement in conflict with the state.

What has to be ascertained is why we developed as we did?  As individuals
none of us think the same way, yet all of us no matter where we are, grasp the
same logic of political motion. Among us are differences concerning particular
episodes in the history of the American Union. In relationship to what parades
itself as Marxism in the America we are a monolith.

The intellectual core of the black elite is leagues ahead of the petty
bourgeois left and the bourgeois intellectual concerning American history and
politics. The transformation of the Reverend Al Sharpton into a Presidential
candidate has not been lost on us. The black bourgeoisie faces it greatest danger
since Reconstruction and along with this a section of the black intellectual
elite. Both have hit the historical wall and can raise no demand in the
ideological sphere that is not that of the most poverty stricken section of proletariat.
In fact the black bourgeoisie is utterly reactionary. Their fear of the
communist class has no bounds.

It is in the nature of political logic that every one hits the same wall
together. Contained within the methodology of Stalin, – not the specific inner
party struggle tactics, is the dialectic of the leap. A leap is not a jump from
one qualitative state to another. The dialectic of the leap means a transition.
In other words the form of the social movement by definition lag behind the
social process and then leaps forward to express what is new. Al Shapton is an
old form of the social process that has lost its validity. The black
intellectual elite understand this. They fear the increasing reaction that is the
dialectic of transition. Here is why a sector is compelled to “discovery” our
history. Our “Vote Communist” campaign is nothing less than a masterstroke in
political strategy.

Before leaving Detroit I stopped by General house and breezed through a 1500
page manuscript of our history written by a black women – a professor. We were
fucked up because her meticulous work revealed things we had simply
forgotten. She produced and wrote about the documents of the inner chambers of the UAW
and political establishment and their attempts to out maneuver us.

Here is the point.

In the last period political Trotskyism can claim nothing other than blocking
against Soviet power. This is a political intersection with the reactionary
section of the black elite. Very few black communists embrace political
Trotskyism.

Yet, we hit the political wall first. No one sounds like me and all of us
sound the same. We quote the masters because we are not independent thinkers.
Independent thinkers cause problems with their thinking because it gets converted
into individualized actions without a line of march. Our workers do not like
people like that and never vote for them. We are men and women of independent a
ction with the ability to independently find our own bearing. This is the
meaning of being a communist insurgent. We however, get stuck. The dialectic of
the leap has to be mastered little by little.

The communist that won their positions within the trade union movement are
trapped. One cannot simply walk away – quit their job and become homeless. A
political body can not turn like a military column. We cannot perform “left-face”
 or “right face turns.” This is what’s meant when Comrade Stalin teaches us
that a party becomes stronger by purging itself. Every quantitative juncture
produces its own leaders. Communists do not build base areas. Rather we educate
and lead.

The petty bourgeois ideologist write history from the standpoint of what they
believe is the correct ideology. Communist workers disclose the mechanics of
the process.

The CPUSA faced the same situation we are at prior to the outbreak of
Montgomery and was destroyed during the period of transition in the social struggle.
They got stuck. A base area cannot shift. We are not waging a colonial battle
where organization – the party, is an army. This is what happened with the
First, Second and Third Internationals. Everyone hits the wall. The CPUSA did not
simply crash on the rock called the African American Question but could not
transform themselves on the basis of the dialectic of the leap. As an
organization they rode the crest of the industrial union movement and got trapped by
history.

There is a saying amongst the people of America “that God don’t create no
junk.” And this also applies to history. We did not evolve from the CPUSA as an
off shoot or political Trotskyism. We evolved out of the African American
people’s movement as first and second generation proletarians. For instance
General Baker Jr. - father, retired from Chrysler Motors.  Prior to the formation of
DRUM (Dodge Revolutionary Union Movement) several young militants formed the
UHURU group which was a collective dedicated to the study of Capital.

I seek no flame war over Trotsky and Stalin. What is tragic is that most of
the white members have a political tradition of Trotskyism – as best as I can
ascertain their writings, and virtually every African American proletarian
intellectual, most certainly my self does not have this tradition.

God don’t create junk and neither does history. You must ask yourself – of
the Trotsky tradition, how and why this configuration of history took place.

Here is what I learnt at work in the course of thirty years. Every industrial
machine on earth run in the same direction no matter what its configuration.
Every worker with time under their belt know this, because machines run based
on a law system and this applies to every industrial machine on earth.
Machines are material extensions of people. History is no different. You cannot stick
your hand into a machine just because you invented it. History is no
different.