[Marxism] RE: Voting by the U.S. Left--and the main stategic goalof2004

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Sun Feb 22 09:39:47 MST 2004

Danielle Ni Dhighe wrote, "In 1891, Engels described the US political
system as run by 'two great gangs of political speculators, who
alternately take possession of the state power and exploit it by the
most corrupt means and for the most corrupt ends.'  113 years later, can
anyone say that's changed?"

My point is that if we don't know that already...if we have to read it
(in translation) from a German who's been dead over a century...we're
screwed!

Anyone who lives today with their eyes and ears open should know this as
an elementary fact of our political lives.  Americans certainly knew
this when Engels was writing it in the 1890s.  As far as that goes, they
knew it fifty years before when they built a series of third party
movements that ultimately shattered the proslavery hegemony of the Whigs
and Democrats.

Of course, there were those who argued at antislavery conventions that
putting together an abolitionist political force was misdirected, that
it would hurt "friendly" Whig or Democratic officeseekers, etc.  ...and,
interestingly enough, some would get up and quote the Bible against any
involvement in the Satanic entanglements of electoral politics.  They
placed their faith in the future, more pure interventions of the unseen
hand of God.  They were simply wrong, as are those today who argue that
what people do doesn't matter.

Solidarity!
Mark L.