[Marxism] Professor C. Vann Woodward/See Vann Woodward

Waistline2 at aol.com Waistline2 at aol.com
Mon Feb 23 02:40:26 MST 2004

C. Vann Woodward.

See Vann Woodward.

C. Vann Woodward, Sterling Professor of History Emeritus at Yale University,
was a 1982 Pulitzer Prize winner for his book, "Mary Chestnut's Civil War."
His classic "The Strange Career of Jim Crow" and "The Origins of the New
South," constitutes 99% of all our writings on the African American question.

The one percent added is the Marxist conception - not definition, of the
African American factor as a modern national colonial question and not a matter of
racial antagonism.

This Sunday browsing in the 50% Off Bookstore turned up his "The Strange
Career of Jim Crow" for six bucks.

Among his other writings are "Tom Watson: Agrarian Rebel," "The Burden of
Southern History," "American Counterpoint: Slavery and Racism in the North-South
Dialogue." Vann was the general editor of "The Oxford History of the United
States" and coeditor of "The Original Civil War Diaries of Mary Boykin
Chestnut."

The third edition of "The Strange Career of Jim Crow" - 1974 was written to
describe why the Watts Rebellion, August 1965 was the political juncture and
then Detroit followed.

"The breach was Watts and then the political seperation. Damn, I have from
time to time twisted the political formulation, tending to place to much
emphasis on Detroit."

"Only the "old heads" will detect this minor deviation."

"I shall say nothing and skillfully fall back into place."

See, Vann wrote in the very first paragraph of the third edition,

"On 6 August Congress passed and the President signed the Voting Rights Act,
and on 11 August the terrible riots in Watts initiated four summers of violent
racial explosions all over the country. Thus within a week a historic
movement reached a peak . . ."

"Damn, comrade Stalin would look at me and say:

'it needs minor editing because of Watts."

This would not be enough to get my ass deleted out of the photograph.

If I say nothing no one will know.

See Van Woodward.

"What a Sunday."

Melvin P.