[Marxism] Insurgents Take Haiti's Second City -- New York Times PR for the invasion

Fred Feldman ffeldman at bellatlantic.net
Mon Feb 23 04:44:28 MST 2004

This is the kind of coverage we would have seen about the Bay of Pigs
invasion in the Cuban people had not been armed and organized to smash
the invasion.
Fred Feldman

Insurgents Take Haiti's 2nd City as Crisis Grows
By LYDIA POLGREEN
Rebel leaders, who now control virtually all of Haiti's northern region,
vowed to occupy the entire country within two weeks.
Insurgents Take Haiti's 2nd City as Crisis Grows
By LYDIA POLGREEN

Published: February 23, 2004

CAP HAITIEN, Haiti, Feb. 22 — Rebels seized control of Cap Haitien,
Haiti's second-largest city, on Sunday, meeting little resistance as
hundreds of residents cheered, burned the police station, plundered food
from port warehouses and looted the airport, which was quickly closed.
Police officers and armed supporters of President Jean-Bertrand Aristide
fled.

The rebel advance expanded the territory held by a ragtag army of
insurgents to include virtually all of the northern region of the
country and drove the nation deeper into chaos. The insurgent leaders
vowed that their compatriots would occupy the entire country within two
weeks.

While it was difficult to gauge the extent and momentum of the rebellion
— the insurgents have refused to specify the exact size of their force —
the seizure of Cap Haitien was a major blow to Mr. Aristide. It throws
into question whether an American-backed peace plan to create a
power-sharing government could save the country from further mayhem.

"We came here to free the people; we will free all the people," Guy
Philippe, the 36-year-old rebel commander, said in an interview here
Sunday evening. He added that about 11 people were killed in taking the
city, a figure still impossible to confirm.

"We are ready to die for Haiti," he said. "This is our advantage. No one
wants to die for Aristide."
There was no immediate reaction from Mr. Aristide, who dissolved Haiti's
army a decade ago and has no significant military force to rally against
the rebellion.

Paulda Petime, a 23-year-old rebel dressed in camouflage, a bulletproof
vest and a steel helmet, said he had helped lead about 200 rebels
arriving here from Gonaïves, the city where the uprising began on Feb.
5. He was even more upbeat than his commander, Mr. Philippe, predicting
the rebels would take the capital, Port-au-Prince, on Monday.

As machine-gun fire sounded in the streets of Cap Haitien, a city of
about 500,000, residents greeted the arriving rebels with chants of
"Down with Aristide!" and "Long live the army!" The rebels drove
straight into the grassy square next to the city's police headquarters,
the chief symbol of central government power at about 10 a.m. and
declared the city liberated.
Full article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/23/international/americas/23HAIT.html?th