[Marxism] RE: Anti-Nader Shock Troops

Tony Abdo gojack10 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 23 22:21:39 MST 2004

I think it fair to also add the Green Party to the category of being
"anti-Nader shock troops".    But here it was necessary to try to kill his
campaign with supposed kindness.    What is interesting with this press
release below, is that it has already decided in advance that there will be
no reapproachment with Nader.    There will be no effort to reunite in 2004.
    All which raises the question as to why did the split occur, and who
bears responsibility for it?    And now, who has made the decision before
the Green Party national convention, to not reapproach Nader with a proposal
to merge the campaign together again?

I buy Nader's explanation for it, especially since I have seen no answer to
his accusations that the Green Party was deliberately dilly-dallying around
and trying to minimize the strength of its campaign effort.    The attitude
and tone of this press release leads credibility to what he was saying.
What this press release says, is that we, the Green leadership, are not
concerned about this split... so what?     And one has to ask, then, why
such an attitude from top Greens?

The simple answer is that the Green Party leaderrship has lost the stomach
for opposing the DP in this election.    And Nader running an identical
campaign alongside the official Green Party candidate will make the both
disappear that much faster before the media eye.    And the Green Party will
not have to defend itself against the crime of "losing the election" for the
DP once again, simply because the Green effort will be so much piddly squat.

Tony Abdo
------------------------------
Greens Welcome Ralph Nader to the Presidential Race, Look Forward to
Nominating a Green Candidate.
Sunday, February 22, 2004

Contacts:
Nancy Allen, Media Coordinator, 207-326-4576, nallen at acadia.net
Scott McLarty, Media Coordinator, 202-518-5624, mclarty at greens.org

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Greens welcomed Ralph Nader's entry into the
presidential race today as an independent, saying that Mr. Nader will take
positions and raise issues of vital urgency in the 2004 race for the White
House.

Greens noted that the Green Party of the United States and its 43 affiliate
state parties are preparing to back a Green nominee, not an independent or
another party's candidate.

"In running a presidential ticket this year, we're keeping our eyes on the
prize.  Our mid-term goal is the creation of a multi-party political system,
and the participation of a strong Green Party in that system," said Ben
Manski, co-chair of the Green Party of the United States. "To move closer to
achieving our goal, we run and support Green candidates."

The following candidates have confirmed their participation in the Green
primaries with the national party: Sheila Bilyeau, Peter Camejo, David Cobb,
Paul Glover, Kent Mesplay, Carol Miller, Lorna Salzman.  More information
about their campaigns, with links to their web sites, is posted at
<http://www.gp.org/convention/process.html>.

Upcoming forums and debates featuring Green presidential candidates are
posted at <http://www.gp.org/greensweek/index.html>, the web page for
Greensweek, the party's national weekly bulletin.  (Scroll down to 'Upcoming
Events.')

Some Greens have launched a 'Redraft Nader' campaign to persuade Mr. Nader
to to reverse his earlier decision to not seek the Green Party nomination
and instead accept a nomination at the party's national convention in
Milwaukee.  There is also a campaign among some Green Party members to urge
the party not to run a national candidate in 2004.

"We wish Ralph well and thank him for working with us and supporting us all
these years," said Jo Chamberlain, also a co-chair of the national Green
Party.  "Our candidates -- and our eventual nominee -- are campaigning on a
platform similar to his, so we don't consider ourselves in any kind of
public competition with him."

Greens stressed the importance of participation by the Green Party's
nominee, by Mr. Nader, and by other 'third party' candidates in the
presidential debates.  The Green Party, Mr. Nader, and other candidates and
parties from across the political spectrum have filed suit charging the
Federal Election Commission with failing to act on their complaint seeking
to decertify the Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD) as sponsor of the
presidential debates in 2004 <http://www.gp.org/press/pr_02_11_04.html>. The
plaintiffs allege that the CPD must be decertified because it is a partisan
group that is controlled by the two major parties and acts to benefit them
exclusively.

"The debates are owned and run by the Democratic and Republican parties,
through the Commission on Presidential Debates [CPD]," said Jake Schneider,
treasurer of the Green Party of the United States.  "The CPD has an interest
in obstructing all candidates who are outside of these two parties, and in
narrowing the public debate in deference to the CPD's corporate sponsors.
This is profoundly antidemocratic, and limits the ability of voters to make
informed choices.  We need a nonpartisan debate commission that's free of
corporate influence, the kind of effort currently being organized by the
Citizens' Debate Commission."

The Green Party of the United States formally announced its 2004 National
Nominating Convention, to take place in Milwaukee, Wisconsin from June 23 to
28, 2004.  The convention will take place at the Midwest Center, Milwaukee
Theater, and the Milwaukee Hyatt Regency.  The party has posted an online
registration page, with early registration encouraged
<https://secure.gpus.org/convention/.  Media representatives may register at
this site; a media credentialing web page will be posted shortly.