[Marxism] Re: Green/Nader relationship

Howie Hawkins hhawkins at igc.org
Tue Feb 24 03:45:14 MST 2004

The press release from the national Green Party discussed below caused an
uproar in the Green ranks. Whether by intention or by sloppiness, the
release did imply the Greens would not nominate Nader. The corporate media
took it that way, as did Tony Abdo. The authors claimed to have been trying
to be neutral among the candidates for the Green Party nomination and among
the advocates of different strategies for a presidential run. Whatever. The
Green Party Media Committee has been instructed top make corrections in
subsequent releases.

The reality in the Greens is not what Abdo supposes based on this press
release. There is a minority for a "safe states" strategy of not competing
in the battleground states, which is nothing but a backhanded way of
supporting the Democrats. It had at best 20% support in a straw poll at the
last national committee meeting last July. The majority of Greens want an
all-out race and I believe the majority of Greens want to nominate Nader at
the Green national convention in June.

For example, the Green state committee in NY adopted resolutions a few
weeks ago to run an all-out campaign by a 120-22 vote and to support Nader
as the national Green Party nominee by a 117-14 vote.

I think in a couple months, when the delegates to the Green convention have
been selected, it will be clear that the Greens will nominate Nader. Nader
was always an independent, i.e., not registered in a party, and the Greens
nominated him in 1996 and 2000 under that condition. It will probably be
the same this year.

I will say from talking to Nader, he has nothing but contempt for "safe
states" strategists. After studiously refusing to take sides in internal
Green Party politics for years, he is not speaking out to local newspapers
in Green Party strongholds against the Green Party going soft on the
Democrats. He is very concerned it will "wreck the Green Party" as he
phrased it to me. He told a reporter here in Syracuse a couple of weeks ago
that he was concerned that a small clique (perhaps including one of the
press releases authors?) was trying to hijack the Green Party's
independence through the safe states strategy.

But here is a pithier quote to illustrate this point from the Maine Times
Record criticizing one of the leaders of the "safe states" wing of the
Green Party:

"You don't build the party by losing nerve," Nader said, referring to
[John] Rensenbrink. "So he has to decide, does he want to build the Green
Party or does he want basically to become a tactical acolyte of the
Democratic Party. You can't really say to people, 'Support us, support us,'
and then drop out. I mean, how can you look them in eye?"

Now this may seem to contradict the public statements he was making
yesterday all over the corporate media about how he would aim his main
blows at Bush, how he hopes his vote will spill over to help Democrats
retake Congress, and even how his campaign was some kind of indirect
"liberation movement for the Democratic Party." From talking to him when he
was here a couple of weeks ago, he feels he has to make such statements to
deflect the ire of the "liberal intelligentsia" so he has some channels to
speak out without so much static.

In responding to the Anybody But Bush argument at a talk at Hamilton
College, he went through his "second front against Bush" routine, but then
shrugged and said, "What are we going to do, throw up the white flag of
surrender?" and proceeded to tear apart the Democrats and conclude that if
they win, "the military/industrial complex will still determine foreign
policy, the drug companies will still run the FDA," and so forth. His heart
really seemed more into the second line of argument. I told him so
afterwards and that he sounded defensive in the first line of argument. He
said, "I think you may be right" and mentioned some people in his DC
campaign office who are urging the same approach to him. But he hasn't
changed his tack so far. I guess we'll see as the campaign goes on.

But as someone else put it in another post I read today, for radicals who
have no more use for Democrats than Republicans, the choice in this
elections is not the Democrat or Nader, it's Nader or nobody.

-- Howie Hawkins, Syracuse NY