[Marxism] The Passion of Christ

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Feb 24 07:52:59 MST 2004

Even though I haven't seen the movie, I did an interview with Prairie
Miller of WBAI that will be aired today at 2pm EST. You can listen
online at: http://www.wbai.org

I allude to the film deleting "His blood be on us [the Jews] and on our
children", which is from Matthew 27 and amounts to a confession of guilt
for the crucifixion, because of pressure from Jewish organizations. It
turns out that it was not cut, instead the Aramaic words were not subtitled.

In my view this film will not provoke a tide of anti-Semitism since Jews
do not play the role of scapegoat in American society. That role is
reserved for blacks, gays, immigrant workers and American Indians. That
being said, it is necessary to explain how retrograde Catholic
traditionalism is.

Here's a pretty good article on how to understand the historical background:

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/news/ny-p2two3682266feb23,0,5658047.story

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org