[Marxism] Marxmail

Julio Huato juliohuato at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 24 10:49:35 MST 2004

Louis Proyect wrote (in reply to Marvin Gandall):

>I honestly don't understand why you would want to push such a line here,
>since Marxmail is obviously hostile to reformist politics. [...] Is it us
>that you are trying to persuade or are you trying to cleanse yourself of
>the last little bit of 60s radicalism still floating about in your
>bloodstream?

In other words, be rude and divert attention from the substance to the
presumed low personal motivations of those whose arguments you can't refute.

If Louis Proyect doesn't want people with views different from his in HIS
list, he can purge them.  All he has to do is use his ownership rights.
However, if he allows people with other views in HIS list, then -- for the
readers' sake -- he should take their ideas seriously and keep himself from
attributing to them shameful motives that he cannot prove.

We all have some degree of cognitive dissonance -- we read mostly what we
want to read.  But, instead of reinforcing the disease by feeding ourselves
with repeated confirmations of our biases, we should make a serious effort
to look at different arguments, struggle with them, and -- if necessary --
dare challenge our own beloved assumptions.  IMO, if Marxmail is to be
useful to radicals, organizers, and readers, it better allows for more
opinions than those that give Louis comfort.

Julio