[Marxism] City of God

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Feb 25 12:39:54 MST 2004

  No Carnival Here: Oppressed Youth and Class Relations in City of God

Valerie Scatamburlo-D'Annibale, Nathalia Jaramillo, Juha Suoranta, and
Peter McLaren

Introduction

Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a
merger of State and corporate power.

             —Benito Mussolini

To oppose the policies of a government does not mean you are against the
country or the people that the government supposedly represents. Such
opposition should be called what it really is: democracy, or democratic
dissent, or having a critical perspective about what your leaders are
doing. Either we have the right to democratic dissent and criticism of
these policies or we all lie down and let the leader, the Fuhrer, do
what is best, while we follow uncritically, and obey whatever he
commands. That’s just what the Germans did with Hitler, and look where
it got them.1

             —Michael Parenti

1.1 We have entered into a new era of corporate-led globalized
capitalism characterized not only by international flows of capital and
technology but by an unrestrained military-industrial-media complex that
serves to propagate and enforce the views, values, and ideologies
necessary to sustain it. While the transnational ruling elite retreat
into their gated communities, protected from the very people whose
exploited labor-power has supplied them with their super profits, we are
continuously reminded—most recently by the thousands of protestors who
took to the streets of Cancun, Mexico during failed World Trade
Organization negotiations—that class struggles are still active across
the globe. Clearly, certain nation-states—most notably the United
States—have not, as some critics predicted, yielded their sovereignty to
transnational firms and international structures such as the WTO, World
Bank, and IMF. The military-industrial complex—object of derision par
excellence among the global left and some of its more thoughtful
conservatives—is more dangerous today than ever before, not the least
because it has become the sword arm, via the permanent war on terror, of
its administration's geopolitical strategy to colonize the remaining
untapped markets of the world.

1.2 Framed by its cardinal imperative of full spectrum dominance, the
new militarism is witnessing far-reaching changes in the U.S. armed
forces and their role in world affairs. As Carl Boggs (2003) has made
chillingly clear, the military component of U.S. hegemony (a hegemony
which encompasses economic, political, diplomatic, and cultural agencies
of power) has become predominate. No rival centers of power or
countervailing military forces exist—or will likely exist in the
foreseeable future—that can contain this behemoth which strides so
arrogantly across the world’s stage, threatening sovereign states and
waging war against human freedom. Within the historical convergence of
the end of the Cold War, the rise of the U.S. as the single superpower,
high-tech warfare, the expanding Pentagon system, corporate driven
globalization, the growth of domestic corporate power, the decline of
the public sphere, and terrorist attacks of September 11, the U.S.
continues to organize and manage crimes against peace, which are among
the most egregious of the twentieth century. It is in this framework
that class struggle today can be rendered more intelligible and our
efforts to participate in it more potent.

full: http://www.louisville.edu/journal/workplace/issue6p1/mclaren.html

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org