[Marxism] The lover of the devil: obtaining knowledge and the nuance of "feminism fatigue"

Jurriaan Bendien bendien at tomaatnet.nl
Sun Feb 29 11:29:13 MST 2004

In Holland, when you are tired of pornography in its various forms, there is
a new magazine women can buy, called Strictly Magazine. The ethos of
Strictly Magazine is explained by the editor, Hermelijn van der Meijden, as
follows:

"If you want to live long, you have to have sex often. Research has shown
that there exists a significant correlation between the number of orgasms
and life expectations. if you have sex more than once a week, you live two
years longer on average. Moreover, if you regularly make love, you also have
an effective weapon against viruses. This is also scientifically proven.
Lovers generate a higher amount of immunoglobine A during lovemaking, a
substance which forms a natural barrier against disease. Frequent sex is
therefore healthy, but there are obstacles. Smoking is not so good. Because
smokers often stop with sex, rather than to quit smoking. And no sex reduces
your lifespan significantly, as we have just learnt. And a high IQ is not
everything either. It is not true that intelligent youths begin with sex
later than dumb ones ! Again that costs you a few years of your life. The
smart person must therefore, as a compensation, think of sex a lot. That is
good, because then the testosterone level rises, and then you feel like it
again. What also isn't a bad idea: to seduce a physician, because he has one
of the most sexy professions on earth (this has been proved, really).
Reading about sex also stimulates significantly. Scientific research shows
that this sex publication by Strictly contributes to a long and healthy
life. So you've got to read this magazine ! (but not for too long - you have
more to do).

Editor Nynke van Spiegel has this story in no. 2 of the magazine about
modern feminism (onwards christian soldiers, the rest of us like to fuck):

ON THE BARRICADE

Feminists then,. and feminists now. Not just a difference of twenty years,
but also a difference between fighting for abortion and fighting against a
"trendy junkie" look. All the same, the second feminist wave writers keep
struggling as hard as they did then. Passe ? Or do we have a long way to go
?

The old guard of feminist writers is not yet relieved of the armpit-hair
syndrome. Germaine Greer - who became legendary with The Female Eunuch -
changed a lot of women's lives during the first feminist wave in the 1970s
and 1980s. Both re-entered publicity in 2003. For a while feminism was hot
again. Erica Jong wrote Sappho's Leap about the Greek poetess Sappho of
Lesbos, who vented her hunger for love, lust and indecency on men and women
on the surrounding islands. And Germaine Greer came with The Boy in which
she argued for the young boy as ideal beauty instead of the women who now
dominate aesthetics. It's a cultural-historical book, in which Greer looks
back to previous centuries in which painting and sculpture of naked boys was
acceptable, and where the link with pedophilia was not yet made so easily as
it is today. Greer still thinks it is wonderful to kick against everything,
and she stood once again on many podiums doing her feminist rap. In brief,
even now the dames get enough attention.

These days you can get a contraceptive pill from social insurance, abortion
clinics are cited in telephone books, women assume high positions, and there
is childcare for almost everybody, so there seems to be little left to fight
about for anymore. Yet, a new generation of feminists emerged in the 1990s:
the power feminists. These writers no longer engage in the fight with men
and their domination. They kick especially against the beauty ideal that
generally prevails: the junkie look, silicon tits or even contact lenses.
"Be yourself, don't let anybody force you into anything."

A woman who was prominent in this current is Naomi Wolf. Her first book, The
Beauty Myth, made her famous. In this book, she condemns the compulsion
which women still feel towards more and more beautiful looks. According to
Wolf, they do this under male pressure and their ideal of beauty. Reason to
write about it ? I guess her own struggle against overeating and hungry
girlfriends who prefer size 36 instead of a good meal.
But then... the dictionary says that feminism is the striving for an equal
treatment for women. Is the fight against an imposed ideal of beauty not
after all a battle with ourselves ? With Anne Wintour as the antichrist of
this "so-called feminism" ?

Really you know, we are justabout through with women's emancipation, or if
you like, we've got feminism fatigue. But of course feminism is not dead by
any means. In the islamic culture and - to a lesser extent - the Chinese,
they are really just at the beginning of a long road. More and more writers
from this region are making their voices heard in - often fictional - books
and throw themselves into the battle for freedom. Writer Naima El Bazaz for
example, who with her book "The Lover of the Devil" invited the anger of the
Moroccan community. In the book she writes openly about matters like sex and
black magic. And the Chinese Chun Sue wrote the rather boring story Beijing
Doll. A book about herself: a puberal girl who dreams of freedom, love and
her own life. She tells the story from her fourteenth to her seventeenth
year, with many puberal escapades in it. We'd rather have these strong
women, than a few old lesbians who are still living in the past.

(translation by Jurriaan Bendien from Strictly Magazine, No. 2 March 2003,
p-015-016 - if you want to use my work, ask me - and I hate arrogant female
pricks just as much as I hate arrogant male pricks with their class snobbery
and petty power politics).

And in the end, the love you take
Is equal to the love you make

- The Beatles, "The End"