[Marxism] New Poll Puts Bush Down, but Not Out

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Jul 1 07:57:21 MDT 2004

Walter Lippmann wrote:
> (For all the erosion he has suffered, Mr. Bush
> is tied with Mr. Kerry at 47% in a two-way
> matchup. When independent Ralph Nader is
> included, Mr. Bush holds the narrowest of leads:
> 45% to 44%, with Mr. Nader drawing 4% of the vote.)

The reason for this is obvious. Kerry is for the war in Iraq. If we
wanted to become more popular, he should oppose the war. We are watching
a rerun of the 1968 elections with the pro-war Humphrey running against
the pro-war Nixon who lied that he had a secret plan to end the war.
Kerry doesn't even measure up to Nixon. Not only doesn't he have a
"secret plan", he pledges to "stay the course" and not "cut and run"
because that would produce a domino effect (he doesn't use those words,
but clearly this is what he means.) When crowds at Yankee Stadium boo
the vice-president, we are talking about a new situation. In the
aftermath of 9/11 such sporting events were virtually pro-war rallies.
Kerry would rather lose the election than promise something that the
bourgeoisie is opposed to in a significant fashion. Such is the reality
of American "democracy".

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org