[Marxism] Re: Argentine and Brazilian troops in Haiti

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Thu Jul 1 09:31:03 MDT 2004

Respuesta a: Re: [Marxism] Re: Argentine and Bra
Remitido por: gdunkel at mindspring.com
Fecha: Jueves 1 de Julio de 2004
Hora: 8:52
*****

> I think it is important to look at the response of Haitians to the
presence of Argentinian and Brazilian troops.  From what I've heard
and read, they look on it as a "straightup continuation" of support
for an illegal and violent occupation.  In the words of Ben Dupuy,
the editorial director of Haïti-Progrès and secretary general of the
National Popular Party, they are a "Third World veil to hide the
continuing U.S. control."

Yes, this may well look like that, and it is not impossible that it
_is_ like that.  But Fred's cautious approach is more sensible, IMHO,
than taking the declarations of a politician, however progressive
s/he may be, for an "opinion of the Haitian people" that is till to
be made by experience and actual development of facts on the terrain.

> The U.S. is also freighting the bill.

Not in the case of Arg troops.  In fact, one of the reasons for
opposition by the third bloc of diputados (representatives, commons)
in the National Congress, was that this will not only put Arg lives
in risk for no reason that would consult Arg interests, AND that we
shall have to pay every cent of it.

As to Marines still remaining there, well, it will be a very
interesting thing to see what shall the UNO Lat.Am. command do with
them.  This will be a first signal.

gdunkel may well be right.  I am not optimistic myself.  But I also
believe that we should be very cautious and keep our anathemas for
the moment of truth, which has not arrived yet.  Most Haïtians may
ignore where and what is Argentina or even Brazil, so that it is very
probable that they will take on these newcomers the same attitude one
takes on a new animal species appearing in the kitchen.  Maybe it is
harmful, and we shall fight it; but maybe it is an ant-eater, and we
may then adopt it.

Nobody has begun to eat ants in Haïti, as yet.

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar

Buenos Aires, 1822