[Marxism] From Paul Buhle

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Jul 1 14:18:04 MDT 2004

I sent him my revisionist views (at least in terms of Trotskyist
orthodoxy) on the Robert Lafollette and Henry Wallace campaigns, which
was prompted by a discussion we were having about FDR and the left. It
prompted this interesting observation:

I might have commented on this third party piece last time around: old
Art Shields, then a mere 94 and a CP lifer (their best journalist during
some decades, an old friend of Mother Jones, etc), observed that of all
the friggin errors ever made by the CPUSA, for him the very worst was
not supporting LaFollette in '24 because a rural Left might have been in
place for the Crash and Depression, thus a farmer-labor movement of huge
proportions possible. Impossible to say, of course. But the best
argument against FDR is the way that patronage wiped out the various
regional parties, and what they didn't do, Truman did via repression.

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org