On the Greens was Re: [Marxism] My blog

g.maclennan at qut.edu.au g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Thu Jul 1 16:47:00 MDT 2004

Tried to post a comment Lou, but there is some gremlin
stopping me from enlisting.

I was going to say that the current fiasco in the Green Party
might remind you of Browder and FDR, but truly when the VP
candidate announces she is not going to vote for her own
party then surely history has re-entered the arena as the
purest of farces.

It seems to me that there are two tendencies within Green
politics.  First of these is the lobby tendency and the
second the political party.  They both can co-exist, but
there is a tendency for the lobbyists to see the political
party people as pissing on the bed and making life difficult
for them to approach “sympathetic “ politicians.

Within the party faction there are the radical and the realo
tendencies- reform or sell out.

I think these tendencies are pretty universal but of course
local circumstances dictate which tendency will be realised.

What has happened with the USA, I think is that the lobby
tendency has staged some kind of coup within the Greens and
outflanked those like Camejo who were serious about Party
building.

So we never even got to the Realo sell out stage.  Perhaps
the nature of the American voting system, with its winner
take all approach, means that the impulse to build a party is
that much more difficult.

Cobb and La Marche might argue that in their case they are
simply keeping the Fascist Bush at bay, but in truth they
seek to prevent a third party developing out of the previous
alliance with Nader. That was easily the best chance to break
the Rep-Dem monopoly and David Cobb knew it. But of course he
has no interest at all in party building or as he would put
it “growing the Greens.’  What he has done is in effect to
apply the Zero wand to the shoots that were springing out of
the peace movement and the Nader campaign.

As things now stand the American Greens return to the level
of the pressure group seeking funds from sympathetic govt
departments.  That is a step well below the Realo option and
surely there will be a very bitter backlash from within the
Greens to the Cobb/La Marche.  The damage will of course have
been done.

Regards

Gary