[Marxism] Miskito leaders seek independence at the Hague courts (2 & last)

Mike Friedman mikedf at mail.amnh.org
Sun Jul 4 08:05:01 MDT 2004

Actually, if Chavez plays his cards right, enough to offset the different
international context, it could instead be the shadow of the '84 Nicaraguan
election, which the FSLN ran as a popular mobilization and consultation
(town-hall meetings, door-to-door canvassing, strong empowerment
message...), and won, that hangs over Nicaragua. Of course Reagan rejected
it as "fraudulent." (The '90 election was run as more of a traditional
election campaign, with Ortega appearing under the slogan of the "fighting
cock," driving around in a limousine and shaking hands, and with a strong
paternalistic message directed at a more traditional electorate.) Chavez is
in much better economic shape than the Sandinistas were in '90 and doesn't
have a decade of devastating U.S. aggression behind him. Of course, this
isn't the whole picture, but I'm hopeful for Chavez.

Mike