[Marxism] Robert Jensen attack on Fahrenheit 9/11

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Jul 5 10:10:00 MDT 2004

Jim Farmelant wrote:
> I suspect that if Moore had made the sort of film that would
> have pleased Jensen then nobody outside of Moore's
> immediate family would have rushed out to see it.

I post these critiques not because I agree with them, but because I am
trying to stimulate conversation here and also to come to terms with
long-standing critiques of Moore from the left. You'll recall that this
is not the first time that he has been lambasted. In the past he was
attacked for making workers look foolish, like the woman selling rabbits
for meat in "Roger and Me". These are not simple questions. I myself
frankly wonder if a truly radical film could ever achieve the kind of
breakthrough of Moore's documentary. There is little doubt in my mind
that Peter David, John Pilger and Barbara Kopple have made superior
documentaries politically but they will never get the exposure of
Michael Moore. If the film does nothing else except make it more
difficult for the families of soldiers and the soldiers themselves to
back a continuing occupation, then it will be one of the most *radical*
films of the past 50 years--leaving aside the merits of the ideology.

--
Marxism list: www.marxmail.org