[Marxism] Protest against U.S. war in Iraq by Nobel nominee

Mike Friedman mikedf at mail.amnh.org
Mon Jul 5 16:52:05 MDT 2004

Nestor asked me to translate the following letter and forward it to Marxism
Digest...

Mike

Letter from Henry Engler*

Dear Director,

It's been a great honor for me to have been invited to lecture at the World
Conference on Alzheimer's Disease to be held in Philadelphia in July with
the participation of 5,000 scientists from around the world. The invitation
to speak about our technique for making amyloid plaques visible** implies
participating and sharing knowledge with distinguished, internationally
prestigious scientists, whose contributions to the struggle against
Alzheimer's disease are globally recognized. I have tremendous respect for
these scientists.

Sadly, I feel it is my duty to inform you that I have decided not to give a
present in this conference. The reason is the flagrant violation of human
rights committed by U.S. forces against other human beings. The mere
thought of setting foot on U.S. soil  at this time gives me a feeling of
total aversion and repulsion. The atrocities committed against Iraqi and
other prisoners brings back the memory of the humiliation suffered by many
Uruguyans, including myself, as well as the knowledge that these are not
"isolated incidents."

I believe I have always been able to separate the scientific from the
political in my activities. The battle against diseases should be above
political factions. But now, it isn't a question of political positions,
but rather an ethical dilemma. The dilemma lies in choosing between life
and death, civilization and barbarism. This decision to not attend the
conference because it's being held in the U.S. is a civilized of protest
that I have at hand. Understand that my decision is completely personal. It
doesn't involve scientists with whom I am collaborating, nor my place of work.

I greet you attentively,
Henry Engler Uppsala

*Uruguayan researcher living in Sweden, ex-hostage of the Uruguayan
dictatorship, political prisoner for more than 12 years, ex-leader of the
Movimiento de Liberacion Nacional-Tupamaros, nominated today to receive the
Nobel Prize for his research into Alzheimer's disease.

**Amyloid plaques are one of the characteristic structural abnormalities
found in the brains of individuals with Alzheimer's --
http://www.health-dictionary.com/alzheimers-term-details/Amyloid-Plaquevisible
-- Mike.