[Marxism] Re: Germany: Beginning of a rupture between unions and SPD

Johannes Schneider Johannes.Schneider at gmx.net
Tue Jul 6 02:18:10 MDT 2004

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 09:22:34 +0200, Einde O'Callaghan <einde at gmx.de> wrote:

> I think that like Johannes you're looking too much at the visible top of
> teh initiative and have no sense of what is happening on the ground.

Perhaps we are less carried away by or wish-full thinking than by the
reality. The public announcements are the first starting point when
looking at an emerging political movement.
The main intellectual forces come from the old Stamokap current (Jörg
Huffschmid, Joachim Bischoff) and argue for a sort of left Keynesianism.
I agree with you that there is widespread discontent with the SPD policy,
but as long as this discontent does not lead to actions at the working
place level against social cuts any kind of new party will be limited to
the electoral realm, no matter what the radical left proclaims.

> Lüko:
>>    They dream of a social democratic policy of pacifying the relations
>> between the classes when the class war is getting really hot.
>>
> Einde
> But given the strategy of the German ruling class this option is no
> longer available.

This is why any revival of left Keynesianism is doomed to failure. If we
are discussing the Nazi spectre here, nurturing illusions that such a
policy mght be possible will be the best way to strenghten the Nazis,
because they can at least present themslef as an activist force.

Johannes