[Marxism] Re: Robert Jensen attack on Fahrenheit 9/11

David Quarter davidquarter at sympatico.ca
Tue Jul 6 11:46:30 MDT 2004

 There are obivously things to be desired with the film, but I don't
think you can criticize Moore for being a racist,

The examples of "coalition partners" was just plain old biting
sarcasm Moore-style. It is essentially the approach he uses in  all
his films --that is,  to convey his message through humour. In doing
so, he turns most really serious matters on their head (at least,
temporarily) yet without actually taking way from the overall
seriousness of the situation. You can say that it's not appropriate,
yet it is certainly makes for a more entertaining film, therefore
appealing to his audience -- most of whom who would rather not be
lectured about the "perils of imperialism".

Going into a whole LONG-winded discussion of how historically
small,  poor countries, like Aghanistan, had been made
(economically and politically) dependent on the U.S. and therefore
don't really have a say on matters of supporting U.S. imperialism
would have complicated the message, and perhaps been too much
of a bombshell for most Americans to handle.

I think the approach he took was effective-- showing how the
countrries joining the coalition couldn't have contribute much to the
invasion militarily if they wanted to, and therefore that the whole
concept of the "coalition of the willing"  (apart from a few imperialist
countries like Britian and Australia contributing troops to the
cause) was essentially another of Bush's eloborate schemes to
provide cover for the invasion. Simple, direct, and to the point.

DOQ