[Marxism] Moore's contempt for the movement

Will Miller wmiller at uvm.edu
Wed Jul 7 10:26:51 MDT 2004

	When Michael Moore was in Vermont in 1995 for the National
Governors Conference he took and used (on TV  Nation) footage of the
local police clubbing demonstrators from across the U.S. who were
protesting Gov. Tom Ridge's having just signed Mumia Abu Jamal's
death warrant.  Moore fashioned a dumb joke about hugging a governor
used the footage as "people supporting his plan to hug a
governor"--completely ignoring their actual reason for being there.
He was arrogant while present and left a bad taste in the mouths of
everyone--even those who liked "Roger and Me."
--

Will Miller			            	Phones:  (802)
656-3137 (office)
	E-mail  wmiller at uvm.edu
Burlington, VT 05401-3404		                   Web page:
http://www.uvm.edu/~wmiller
     "War is a racket....It may seem odd for me, a military man, to
adopt such a comparison.  Truthfulness compels me to.  I spent 33
years and 4 months in the active service as a member of our country's
most agile military forces--the Marine Corps...  And during the
period I spent most of my time being a high class muscleman for Big
Business, for Wall Street and for the bankers.  In short, I was a
racketeer for capitalism...
     Thus, I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for
American oil interests in 1914.  I helped make Haiti and Cuba a
decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in.
I helped in the raping of a half a dozen Central American republics
for the benefit of Wall Street... I helped purify Nicaragua for the
international banking house of Brown Brothers in 1909-1912.  I
brought light to the Dominican Republic for American sugar interests
in 1916.  I helped make Honduras "right" for American fruit companies
in 1903...
     Looking back on it, I feel we might have given Al Capone at few
hints.  The best he could do was operate his racket in three city
districts.  We Marines operated on three continents." [emphasis in
the original]

(Major General Smedley D. Butler, two-time winner of the
Congressional Medal of Honor.
   Quotation from Butler's "American Armed Forces," Parts l and II,
Common Sense, October 1935.)