[Marxism] Why Does Fahrenheit 9/11 Pursue Conspiracy Theory?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Jul 9 19:50:03 MDT 2004

Mark Lause wrote:
> Finally, the medium itself requires a certain amount of personalization
> and conveys emotional appeals far better than intellectual arguments.
> I've rarely seen good documentaries about disembodied social forces,
> though several Nova programs on PBS came close in discussing such things
> as mathematical formulae.

I tried to make this point early on. Moore's film is strongly influenced
not only by Capra but Oliver Stone. This is a sensibility akin to that
which resulted in the powerful "JFK". It is a narrative that is as old
as literature, the stuff of Shakespeare really. Evil Kings. Aroused
avengers. Hubris. Resolution.

Bring it after me.
I will not be afraid of death and bane,
Till Birnam forest come to Dunsinane.

Marxism, by contrast, could never inspire literature or films such as
these. Why not is an interesting question.

--
Marxism list: www.marxmail.org