[Marxism] India's first news magazine by and for slum dwellers

Juan Fajardo fajardos at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jul 12 17:43:55 MDT 2004

"India's first news magazine by and for slum dwellers"

"Indian slum-dwellers given voice"

By Habib Beary
BBC correspondent in Bangalore

Their pride is unmistakably justified - a team drawn from the ghettos is
successfully running India's first news magazine about slum-dwellers.

"Slum Jagathu", or Slum World, a monthly, focuses on life in overcrowded
and neglected settlements, where most of India's urban poor live.

"It is not just a magazine. It is a voice echoing the struggle of
slum-dwellers," says Isaac Arul Selva, editor and publisher, himself a
school drop-out.

"Our ultimate aim is to inspire a movement to fight for our basic rights
and amenities."

Full story:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3874903.stm