[Marxism] (no subject)

Scotlive at aol.com Scotlive at aol.com
Mon Jul 12 21:24:21 MDT 2004

Delegation to Istanbul, Turkey in support of Tekin Tangun

Tekin Tangun, the chairman of TAYAD, the solidarity group for
political prisoners in Turkey, was arrested on 19th February 2004.
His arrest was the culmination of many years of harassment against
him and his associates.

His arrest was part of an elaborated plot to frame him.  It started
with the arrest Erdogan Kaldi, who was arrested for putting up
posters in support of prisoner's rights. Whilst in police custody
Erdogan Kaldi was forced to make a statement against 148 persons
including Tekin Tangun.  Afterwards Erdogan Kaldi withdrew his
statement saying that he had only made it because he had been
threatened with death if he hadn't.  But the state has chosen to
ignore this fact and is claiming that the arrest of Tekin Tangun is
lawful.  Tekin Tangun is now accused of being involved in acts
of `terrorism' when in actual fact he has only ever been a committed
fighter for the rights of prisoners and their families and an active
member of the legal organization TAYAD

We are calling upon the state to drop the prosecution and to release
Tekin Tangun with immediate effect.

On 30th July 2004 Tekin Tangun will appear in court in Istanbul to
face charges.
We believe that this prosecution is illegal.  We would like to invite
you to participate as an observer.  We are not able to pay for
flights or accomadation but we are able to accomadate you for free if
you stay with families.

This is the programme:
27 July 2004: Arrival
28 July: Visit lawyers at the Peoples Law Bureau.  Visit the offices
of TAYAD and the offices of the progressive journal Ekmek ve Adalet
(Bread and Justice).
29 July: Visit to the Ýdil cultural center, families of massacred
prisoners in Armutlu, Istanbul and ÇHD (association of contemporary
jurists)
30. July: court and press conference

Yours respectfully
International platform against isolation

Contact:
Adress: Rue Stevin 190
1000 Brussels
Belgium