[Marxism] Who is David Cobb?

Paul H. Dillon illonph at pacbell.net
Wed Jul 14 13:36:20 MDT 2004

Louis,

I personally know David Cobb since he lives here in Eureka when not on the
road and  he is active with the local Greens and Democracy Unlimited of
Humboldt County, an anti-corporate organizing group that has been
instrumental in helping to keep big boxes and other corporate activities out
of the area.  They were also instrumental in the actions of the Arcata City
Council when it instructed its police department not to enforce the
unconstitutional provisions of the Patriot Act (actions that had been
illegal prior to the Patriot Act's passage) and not to cooperate with
federal officials who requested them to carry out such actions.    I had a
long conversation with him driving from a Green party gathering in southern
Humboldt County back to Eureka. He is a pragmatic perhaps closer to
Kucinich -- uses the kind of political calculus that Kucinich described to
Amy Goodman on today's Democracy Now! He recognized the danger to Kerry's
election that a division in the democratic party over immediate withdrawal
from Iraq would cause and so desisted.  I believe Cobb thinks like that but
recognizes that the Green strategy should be to gain local offices.  He's
just using the presidential candidacy as a vehicle for Green party building
but aimed really at taking control on the local level as we have done
increasingly up here. (yes, i confess to being a registered green).     I
don't know about many of the Texas-related charges but I can say that Cobb
has not shown authoritarian tendencies in any of the actions we've been part
of together (eg, pre-Iraq war demonstrations).  I'll also say this, if he
were to be elected, his  first lady, Kaitlin - director of Democracy
Unlimited,  would be the bulldog in the house for attacking the
corporations.

Paul.