[Marxism] Clarification; Comments toward critique of Anti War & Anti-Zionist mov'ts

DHE cuibono at rcip.com
Mon Jul 19 11:54:59 MDT 2004

Let me begin by thanking Greg Dunkel (gdunkel at mindspring.com ) and Andy
Pollack (andypollack at juno.com" ) -- for their interest in my post, and also
by applauding their expressions of support for the Million Worker March.  I
view them as allies in the struggle, and as co-workers in the effort to
build support for this historic action.

But there has been a misunderstanding. The "disclaimer" at the top of my
post was not intended as an "apology for supporting the WWP". It was put
there to forestall anyone from mistaking me for a WWP member or follower.
While the WWP and myself are in agreement about the MWM and many other
things, wide gulfs remain between our views of numerous important issues. I
don't want to be seen as in support of that which I do NOT support:)

While the WWP and its close allies (like the FPA) have been the most
important leading force in the United Front over the last decade or so, this
doesn't mean they're an infallible fountain of all wisdom.

As Yoshie Furuhashi and others have pointed out, the AntiWar movement seems
to have peaked & gone into decline, at a time when the general public's
disenchantment with the War is on the rise.

 Certainly the onset of the Election Season, plus "latent Menshivitis", (cf.
Marv Gandall's post in Issue #41) as had a lot to do with this. But IMHO we
might well take a close look at the quality of the leadership provided by
not only ANSWER, but also each of the other major organizations who have
contended (or pretended?) to play a leading role in the national movement --
as well as how each has handled the problems involved in working with each
other.

While the first focus has to be on the main political differences -- "put
Politics in Command" -- some attention also needs to be paid to the handling
of the "practicalities". Anything that can make participation in these
actions an unpleasant experience needs to be looked at.

Of course I can only speak to the actions in SF. But in my judgment
there have been numerous very simple things that have been handled poorly.

(Maybe two separate discussions re such matters would be appropriate: one
for the East Coast & one for the Bay Area? Plus another for Chicago & the
Midwest?)

A final point: I feel duty-bound to challenge any implication that the
differences between the groups Greg mentions -- "WWP (or the CP or ISO or
RCP or ... or ANSWER or UFPJ or ...)" -- are unimportant. "Let a hundred
flowers bloom" applies to freedom of discussion; it should not be taken to
mean that we should ignore or annihilate political differences or class
distinctions.

And with that, I'm back to doing a little practical organizing in the local
area, against the War & for MWM :)

Cui Bono?

Mon, 19 Jul 2004 12:39:57 GMT