[Marxism] Ali G

Philip Ferguson philip.ferguson at canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Jul 20 15:16:03 MDT 2004

Mine wrote:
>His bio says that Cohen wrote "acclaimed theses" on black and jewish
cultures, comparing the experience they face as minorities.

>This may explain his motive for the Ali G figure as well.

>Anyhow, the show is just too hilarious and witty. It does a great job
of exposing the stupidity of the mainstream society. Any criticism of it
on the basis of political correctness makes little sense frankly.

Agree totally!

And politically correct attacks on Ali G from liberals and the left just
convince workers that the left is a bunch of priggish, humourless,
sanctimonious so-in-sos.

On the other hand, I'm quite impressed that Tony Benn challenged him
over sexist terminology.  I think it's fair enough if an interviewee
bites back like that.

Happily, most of the interviewees are themselves priggish, humourless,
sanctimonious right-wingers (plus people like the 'Nation' guy), and
that's part of what makes Ali G's shows so funny.

P.